Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a 03 R/T 5.9, is there any issues if I wanted to replace it with my 5.9 in my 2000? Thanks...

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Not that Ive read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you look online for the 5.9 it says 93 to 01 that's why I am wondering if there is a difference with the 02 and 03. Anything with internal or external balancing?

·
Registered
583 Posts
i think the only difference is the number of o2 sensors in the exhaust..... 01 and up has one on each manifold, one before tha cat, and one after.... thats the only thing i can think of....

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
They call for different spark plugs, but other than that nothing. And the spark plugs are really only due to different PCM tuning.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's a thread on Dakota R/T forum about the 02-03 blocks having a couple extra holes for motor mounts on the sides. Apparently something's different mount wise in these years I guess. Someone is thinking the block is heavier duty also because they say the block weighs about 15lbs more. They say the cyl walls look thicker, but I'll wait on, at least, a stock to stock comparison between an 02 block and, say, a '99 for example. If done, it needs a sonic tester calibrated for that block's iron at a location where the exact thickness is known and hand tool measureable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It should work. Any differences should be in the sensors and such. Nothing with the blocks that wouldn't make it compatible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts