Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
2.5 owner

Hi, I am a fellow 2.5 owner. Mine is a 98, kind of gutless but I am working on it. I think my major problem is larger tires. It cut my rear axle ratio from 3.92 to more like a 3.62. As long as I keep rpm's up...tis ok! :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I used to own a 98 dakota with the 2.5 I got a lil bigger tires, and I could tell... I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the 4.7 now, and it's nice!

What are you planning on doing to your 2.5 Cause personally if I still had mine,... I would either buy a supercharger that would be able to work on any engine, or maybe a nos set up so it could move over. I know that the cold air intake system from 360 intakez will really help you. It will help you more than it helps us v8 or even v6 guys... because that intake tube yall get that is in that z pattern robs you of hps a lot. Other than that... I would plan on throwing in a 426 hemi or something... that would be bad ass.

Paul

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
4banger owner

I got a 2.5 Dak. It's pretty weak so i'm just going to make mine look good and stop worrying about the speed, but i'm looking for an exhaust or muffler to make it sound good.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I had a 2.5 in a Jeep Wrangler and it was OK, but i had 4.10 gears so that helped and the Jeep was lighter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
this is kinda on topic, do you guys know when they went from the "dodge FWD" 2.5 (the OHC one) to the later engine that they pirated from jeep (2.5 pushrod) I had a OHC in my 1991 dak and know it sucked and a 2.5L OHV in my 1995 wrangler that engine was so weak you couldn't pull a hill in second with the A/c on

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know where i cna find a supercharger for my 2.5 l 98 dakota, its gutless and it needs a lil boost, im already buying a intakez cold air intake for it, but i need either a turbo or a supercharger..any ideas?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I do not think that they make a supercharger for the 2.5, I know there is a guy on here a fabed up a Turbo kit for his 2.5, but I don't know if it is fast or not. i would just say sell your truck and get one with a bigger engine if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
sdcalidakota said:
anyone know where i cna find a supercharger for my 2.5 l 98 dakota, its gutless and it needs a lil boost, im already buying a intakez cold air intake for it, but i need either a turbo or a supercharger..any ideas?
Yeah,.... there really isn't a supercharger kit for it. You could make on work for it, but you'll definately need to know more than your average driver. I would say get a simple nitrous system and throw it on. This will definately give you a nice boost!

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
but with soemthing like that i would have to boost everytime i wanted a fast acceleration, lol, what kind of exhaust should i go with, any ideas on that? havein trouble findin that as well. as far as nitrous, how much does a bottle refill cost, cause i was under the impression it was rather expensive, and will i need to run premium gas, also have u guys ever put a resistor on the air intake to increase fuel to the engie? good idea or bad idea?

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i found a nos kit that automatically inserts nos as you drive as soon as u hit a throttle position, is this a good idea? it says 55-75 horspower, now i am sure i get less with a 4 cyl, lol, but still, now since my engine will obviously be running hotter, have u heard about the cryo intake systems, it floods ur intake with co2 freezing it, and dropping it to -80 degrees f, supposed to drop ur temp 35%

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
sdcalidakota said:
ok so i found a nos kit that automatically inserts nos as you drive as soon as u hit a throttle position, is this a good idea? it says 55-75 horspower, now i am sure i get less with a 4 cyl, lol, but still, now since my engine will obviously be running hotter, have u heard about the cryo intake systems, it floods ur intake with co2 freezing it, and dropping it to -80 degrees f, supposed to drop ur temp 35%
Dude I would stay off tht NOS shit, i know a guy who did a simular kit on a DEL SOL and smoked his engine. I do not like spry in horse power it is just asking for trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so then ive talked to some people, they have all said jsut put a bigger engine in, so my question is this, where do i get one, lol, do i have to repalce the tranny, as well, the compiter? i mean, what all has to be replaced when i replace the engine, and do i need to fab, or will the mounts already exist

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
there is alot that goes into an engine swap, you will need the engine, tranmission, computer, wireing harness, motor mounts, you might have to upgrade you fuel system. It is a very big job and if you don't know what you doing you can get in over your hrad real quick. I would sell the truck and get one with a v8 in it and go from there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
any body thought of putting a jeep 4.0 in place of a 2.5??? It should be a drop in just using same mounts etc.... these are good for 180-200 hp (this is the same relationship as the 3.9-5.2 swap as the 2.5 is a 4.0 missing two cylinders. Your MPG will be near the same 16-22 mpg but easy extra 60hp. Just as good as a turbo or supercharger but a whole lot cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts