Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yet one more reason I wont ever have my tranny "flushed"....

My father in law has a sweet 98 Dakota.....he babies that thing.

It has about 60k miles on it I believe.....Lately, it has been acting a little funny....going into 3rd, it seems like it revs a little too high....Well, he took it in and the dealer recommended a flush.

I told him of the problems I had heard poppining up after flushes....and that it could just be the speed solenoid acting up....I have read about that here and on other forums)....

Well, he is now getting a rebuilt tranny under warranty.

Seems that after the flush the tranny locked up in low.

I'll never have a tranny flushed unless I am looking to get a rebuilt tranny out of the deal....

What bothers me is the dealer says "Chrysler recommends flushing now".......ANyone ever see that in writing???

I cant see how flushing could be preferred unless it is AFTER dropping the pan and changing the filter, etc....Otherwise you are just stirring up all that crap laying in the pan and stuck on the filter and recirculating it thru the tranny....doesnt make good sense to me at all. Now, I know that he was having trouble before taking it in...but I think the flush did more harm than good.

Well, thank God he had the $0 ded Maximum care warranty......

He has had his share of problems with this truck, including thedreaded balljoints and a bad head gasket (5.2).....now this.....

Wow, I hope my 2003 Durango doesnt have these issues...one thing I know is that I am feeling much better about the warranty I bought....

DZ

C

·
0 Posts
yeah i asked my dad about this because i dont think my truck has ever had a flush or tranny fluid change (70k miles), and he said that its almost better to never change the fluid at all, you just stir up all the crap in the pan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you....

My 92 Dak hasnt seen a change for quite some time...and at 120k miles I think I am better to leave well enough alone.

My 03 Durango is due for a change in about 5k miles....Definately will be a pan drop....

ALthough, I did a pan drop on my Ford Exploder when I first got it...it had 63k miles on it.....did the change at like 65k....at 68k I needed a new tranny...

Coincidence or cause-and-effect?? WHo knows.

DZ

·
Registered
599 Posts
the transmission shop I've dealt with would hook up the tranny to an external filter pump and cycle transmission oil at tempture through the system 2 or 3 times when they would do a rebuild on a blown transmission to remove any metal dust that might be lodged in the trans cooler and whatnot.

The filter they use I was told is several times finer than your average transmission filter,( I would guess the flow rate is not as good) and when they're done rebuilding you tranny this shop warranties their work for a full three years. so something they do must work.

I can't say I've ever took any veichle I've owned to the dealership so they could flush my tranny but if they didn't do what I just decribed then I would say their blowing smoke up your ass.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I droped the pan on my mustang and changed the filter and now the trans slips when it is cold, never did it before:huh:

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
zavestky

Fisrt mistake was to bring it to the dealer to get it flushed. I wouldnt trust my dealership with my tranny even if i knew the people. Just look at what happened to Steve and his tranny a while back. He (your father-in-law) would have been better off bringing it to a professional-well known tranny shop to have it flushed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: zavestky

I would agree.....at least to a point.

The problem is that the truck is still under warranty via Chrysler....so any repairs that would have needed done would have to be done at the dealer...and anyone who has every taken their vehicle to a non-dealer garage first, found problems andt hen gone to a dealer for repairs knows the hassle this is.

Luckily, he IS under warranty and he'll get a rebuild out of it, I guess.

Had he not been under warranty, he would have gone somewhere else...

The second half of this is WHO to take it to if not the dealer.

Usually, when a major componant dies like a tranny, you have to get it done ASAP. Unless you are "in the loop" and know someone, most likely you look in the yellow pages or go somewhere you saw before. If you are lucky you have a freind, etc who has had work done and can recommend someone....

I am in the same boast....as long as the truck is under warranty I'll take it to the dealer...easier to track everything and no arguments later about who did the service....

DZ

WicKed R/T said:
Fisrt mistake was to bring it to the dealer to get it flushed. I wouldnt trust my dealership with my tranny even if i knew the people. Just look at what happened to Steve and his tranny a while back. He (your father-in-law) would have been better off bringing it to a professional-well known tranny shop to have it flushed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts