Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive decided to get a new muffler for my 2000 dakota sport V6 5-speed and I dont know what any sound like. Right now most are saying flowmaster or magnaflow. Im not gonna run duals all im doing is welding a new muffler on. I dont want it to sound like a rice burner truck if you know what I mean but I dont want it to be real loud. I just want a nice sound that will be noticed. So which is best for me. Any help would be extremely helpful. :)

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anybody ever heard of V force muffler's? And if they are any good cause I didnt want to spend a lot of money. Im really lost on this one

·
Registered
396 Posts
i went with the flowmaster 40 series...i picked mine up at autozone for 80 bucks...it sounds wonderful...im very happy with it :mullet:

·
Registered
449 Posts
go with flowmaster 40 series.... I have that on my truck and It is just right... not too loud but not whimpy... its an aggressive tone...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Watch out for names in the car part market! Just because it looks good does not mean it will perform. The Flowmaster 40's are a great muffler. If you want something a little quieter go for the Flowmaster 50's. You should not pay more than $250 to have a local muffler shop (only use local guys, Meineke and the like are jerks) to buy and install a muffler. The local muffler shop will also likely look at your setup and recommend upgrades like a better y-pipe.

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, ill be completely honest... I dont know anything about exhaust systems. If I was to get dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series would that sound good and perform good? Because I dont have a BIG V8 or anything its only a V6. Any does anybody have an estimate about how much that would cost? Also... what are some good exhaust tips?

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anybody have a sound clip of a v6 with flowmaster 40 series? Just so I can get an idea.

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, ive decided to go with the dual flowmaster 40 series. I got a pretty good deal too, only $200 for the whole thing. My uncle owns a garage and said he wouldent charge laboror tax but only the factory price for the material and the mufflers. I should have it on there in the next three to four weeks. Kinda busy right now. Thanks again for all your help :)

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have it on there yet, the uncle is going to install it for me that cheap cause my b-day is on jan 15. I was starting to have last min thoughts about the flowmaster because alot of people said that flowmaster has too many baffles or something inside that give it the sound but dont produce as much HP. They said that Magnaflows are almost straight through and produce more HP but dont sound as good so Im still thinking about which one to get. But the price is the same either way. Ill be sure to let you know if I like it or not and if it sounds good ill post a wav file so you can hear it.

F

·
0 Posts
awesome! thanks alot...i really need to get me some better sound. I think my truck sounds pretty good at higher rpm...but at idle it sounds pretty wimpy. I just want some rumble...so when Im sitting next to somebody at a light...they can feel my truck...but I think ill need the 5.9 for that :p So you were told that the flowmaster adds less hp than the magnaflow right? as long as they both add "some"...id be content. I want a better sound more than I want more hp...but with a flowmaster ill get some hp anyway...right? what if i just change the muffler and not the rest of the exhaust system? will that do anything?

-Fox

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The information about the flowmaster and magnaflows is what I was told, I havent proven it yet but the flowmaster is guaranteed for an awesome sound but for me and my little 3.9 I want as much performance I can get with my little budget so i think ill stick with the magnaflow. As for just adding just the muffler, that will still sound good and thats all im doing. Im not going to add true duals just a single in and dual out magnaflow performance muffler. For my little 3.9 i think its 2.5 in and out but im not sure. But when I finally scrape up enough $$$ to get an R/T I want true dual Flowmaster 40's with side exits in front of the rear tires with big chrome tips :mullet:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts