Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
damn.. I have always been looking at KB's but the nasty runner from the tb always turned me off.. Your setup is about right.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
jim,,where's teh video's mayun..lol update..
AF is too goofy right now so I'm still on the tuning board. Raining today through Friday so I'm stuck kinda. In the meantime, I got a revised tune ready to load and managed to innovate a vacuum system for the bypass valve that should allow me to control how much boost will be achieved with a good tune. Depending on the test results, I should be able to dial in boost on the fly from inside the cab anywhere from 5-18#s but that's just a guess right now.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Couple more #s of boost to dial in and then it's cinema time..

TP MAP RPM AFR
74 1568 3761 16.6
76 1562 3704 14.2
76 1562 3724 15
63 1562 3794 17.1
70 1543 3704 13.4
73 1543 3692 13.6
55 1518 3844 17.5
67 1488 3708 13.2
49 1481 2455 13.7
53 1469 3905 17.5
53 1469 2437 12.4
51 1469 2455 13.1
51 1444 2306 13.5
54 1432 2269 13.1
55 1432 2398 11.8

I really like that new throttle body location as well, closer to the supercharger and be able to get more air in that way than the other side of the truck. Nice setup.

Now, some new ideas that I am coming up with as well right now. Somehow or some way, an intercooler needs to be on there. That runner from the supercharger to the intake manifold, if there is some way to incorporate an air-water intercooler. The only problem I could see with doing that type of setup would be hood clearance.

Another thing that I was thinking of, is creating a "better" flowing runner from the supercharger to the intake manifold. Those 90 degree bends, I really do not like that. What I was kinda thinking is something along the lines of what people use for their Cummins. I guess what I am talking about are the High-Ram Inlets that Banks uses, but not quite so high or drastic of a rise like those. And then you could incorporate a Methanol Injection to do the "intercooling" without having an intercooler.

Just some thoughts that I am saying out loud.

Anyway, really like your setup and keep on it man. I too would like to see what kind of power you make.

What other mods have you performed on the truck as well?

Matt

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Thanks Matt. I've given a lot of thought about getting a cooler air charge for the setup and so believe me when I say that what you see in the current pics is just temporary. Another thread down the road on that though. :D

Need to throw this in the profile but as far as mods done..
Blower cam (216/224 .507/.507 114)
HS 1.7 Rockers for a final lift of .539/.539
Ported Stock Heads with .600 Springs, FelPro 1008s and ARP Head Bolts
Hardened 7" Pushrods
Crower Lifters
Ported Stock Kegger with runners removed completely
JP Double Roller Timing Gear Set
SFI Approved Harmonic Balancer
F&B 58mm TB with an F&B Ram Ring
MSD ignition with Moroso Ultra 40 wires
Return Fuel setup using stock rails, 42# injectors, and a 255lph intank pump
PPH Headers with 2.5" dual exhaust and dual elect cutouts after the x-pipe
PowerDemon tranny with 2400 stall and an MSaine VB
Yukon 4.56 gears
Detroit Locker
SCT PRP tuner

Mentionables..
Driveshaft Loop
Viper 2 speed fan
Dynojet WideBand AF Commander
LPW Ultimate-12 Diff Cover
AC and clutch fan removed
Tranny cooler
QA1 adjustable shocks
Airlift helper bags
Hellwig traction springs
Belltech drop

OHHHH, I definitely want to see some video of this truck!

Looks great Jim!!!

There is NO way to run that setup with AC - LOL!

That is the cleanest KB install I have seen on a dakota! Nice work.

The problem with the belts is there is a big gap between 113" and the next size down from what I was able to find in a 7 rib setup....it seems that the next size down is 104.5" in a 7 rib.....dunno if you can soakup 8-9" but if you can gatorback makes that size belt.

Good luck - could we get a video of that whirly bird?

Todd
I ran it with AC, and didnt have any problems

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Hey the Kenne bell looks familiar! Glad to see you finally installed it man, i was hoping you were going to post pics up, ive been dying to see it again!
LOL!! Been a long time coming eh? BTW...I know I asked you this before but are you absolutely sure the pulley that was on it when you shipped is a 10#? I'm seeing like 14# or so at half throttle and am finding it hard to believe I have that much restriction with my ported stock heads/dual exhaust. Not ruling it out but still, the pulleys are supposed to be rated for a stock setup if I'm not mistaken.

LOL!! Been a long time coming eh? BTW...I know I asked you this before but are you absolutely sure the pulley that was on it when you shipped is a 10#? I'm seeing like 14# or so at half throttle and am finding it hard to believe I have that much restriction with my ported stock heads/dual exhaust. Not ruling it out but still, the pulleys are supposed to be rated for a stock setup if I'm not mistaken.
I use to see 16# sometimes when i ran that pulley. But I had RT heads, cam, and M-1. It's a 10# tho, i measured and called KB and they checked the size for me. Im thinking maybe the piece iI welded on the front to stop the belt from coming off, maybe changed somethan.

I see that your still using the stock intake manifold. Not a bad thing but running more than 12# you will blow the bottom out of it. I did it and a bunch of my friends with Vortechs' did it too. That's why we all put the M-1 on and never looked back.

It's looking good tho man, i'm glad to see it got a good home!

Discussion starter · #34 · (Edited)
I use to see 16# sometimes when i ran that pulley. But I had RT heads, cam, and M-1. It's a 10# tho, i measured and called KB and they checked the size for me. Im thinking maybe the piece iI welded on the front to stop the belt from coming off, maybe changed somethan.

I see that your still using the stock intake manifold. Not a bad thing but running more than 12# you will blow the bottom out of it. I did it and a bunch of my friends with Vortechs' did it too. That's why we all put the M-1 on and never looked back.

It's looking good tho man, i'm glad to see it got a good home!
Odd on that pulley for sure..thanks for the details. Kegger may look stock but it's not at all. Ported to the max and put back together with an aluminum pan and The Right Stuff. When I ported it I removed the divider on the TB opening which allowed me the ability to squeeze my hand through it and smooth out the excess sealant to the pan seam on the inside. It ain't going nowhere..trust me!

BTW...Only reason I would go back to the M1 is if I were to replace the rect KB tubing and intake mount with a custom 4" pipe that would bolt directly onto the M1 without using the M1 2bbl adapter. Should help out on the air temps and appearance. I do have it on my list of tweaks for it.

Thanks Matt. I've given a lot of thought about getting a cooler air charge for the setup and so believe me when I say that what you see in the current pics is just temporary. Another thread down the road on that though. :D

Need to throw this in the profile but as far as mods done..
Blower cam (216/224 .507/.507 114)
HS 1.7 Rockers for a final lift of .539/.539
Ported Stock Heads with .600 Springs, FelPro 1008s and ARP Head Bolts
Hardened 7" Pushrods
Crower Lifters
Ported Stock Kegger with runners removed completely
JP Double Roller Timing Gear Set
SFI Approved Harmonic Balancer
F&B 58mm TB with an F&B Ram Ring
MSD ignition with Moroso Ultra 40 wires
Return Fuel setup using stock rails, 42# injectors, and a 255lph intank pump
PPH Headers with 2.5" dual exhaust and dual elect cutouts after the x-pipe
PowerDemon tranny with 2400 stall and an MSaine VB
Yukon 4.56 gears
Detroit Locker
SCT PRP tuner

Mentionables..
Driveshaft Loop
Viper 2 speed fan
Dynojet WideBand AF Commander
LPW Ultimate-12 Diff Cover
AC and clutch fan removed
Tranny cooler
QA1 adjustable shocks
Airlift helper bags
Hellwig traction springs
Belltech drop
Looks like you have one heck of a setup!

Keep with it man! Course thats the reason why its a project, right?

Matt

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Looks like you have one heck of a setup!

Keep with it man! Course thats the reason why its a project, right?

Matt
Been a long road for me to get where it is now. Murphy is always kicking my ass and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. Builds character but damn Murphy sucks. :rant:

I think your belt should be routed differently around the idlers. This routing should help belt slip, and will help you blow it up even quicker!

...just kidding...only about the blowing up, but not the belt wrap.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.