Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at getting myself a new cell phone for Christmas..

Always been a Droid guy, but I hear the Iphone is pretty bad ass once " jailbroken" which i guess is the same thing as rooting a droid.

Iphone concerns- No free apps like on droid market?

Droid concerns- Every droid phone i've ever had likes to freeze and randomly restart.

What do you guys think between these choices.. iphone 5, Galaxy S3 or Note2, Droid Razr Maxx or the Maxx HD?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
There are free apps for the Iphone but there's not as many available compared to an android phone like the Galaxy S3. Also I used to have issues with the my smart phone freezing and doing stupid shit. I talked to one of the verizon techs about this issue and he suggested that I shut the phone down for a few minutes and restart it every few days and pull the battery out once a week. I've been doing that with my old phone and current Galaxy S2 and haven't had a big issue with freezing and auto shutdowns. My buddy has an iphone and always gets mad because he can't download any of the apps I have. I find him always trying to steal my phone to play some of the games I have that he can't get.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
I have a HTC One v. pretty good. I had LG and Samsung. They both suck compared to HTC. If anything make sure you get Android 4.0 or newer. Great OS and great response to the user

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah,i've been dealing with the random restarts and freezes since the day I've had my phone. Turning it off,on,pulling battery, none of that shit makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Im running the razr. Never had it freeze yet, just randomly back up a few pages on its own when on the browser.

·
9,489 Posts
I have a Galaxy S2 running CyanogenMod 10 (Jellybean) and its pretty damn stable. I love it. I'm seriously considering the Galaxy Note 2 when my contract is up just because of the screen. But you couldn't pay me to use an iPhone simply because of Apple's lockdown policy. I find that incredibly hypocritical coming from the company who had the "1984" commercial.. And just so you know, jail breaking is also soon to be illegal again under the DMCA.

·
Stop Staring
561 Posts
Im using the droid RAZR and have been for quite some time now and the only problem i have had with it is one time i was pushing carts outside when a HEAVY pouring ass storm came along and got it wet in my pocket....it shut itself off and later after i let it dry off it acted a little funky for about a week....its normal now though. And Every now and again it wont load videos on the YouTube app but turning it off and back on fixes that. (Always had an armor on it as well so thats protected it from the many 3ft drops ive inflicted upobn it)

·
17,623 Posts
I have a Droid 3, wife has a Iphone 4S. She's had more problems with her iphone than I have had with my Droid. I did have to get my phone replaced under warranty because they keyboard was acting funky with not always typeing the letter I pushed or doing double letters. One of the reasons I got the Droid 3 was for the physical keyboard as I hate typing on a touch screen. I get the random restarts, but I guess it never really bothered me too much. Had it rooted for a while and was better, but haven't re-rooted it since getting the new phone. It's a world phone so right now I am using it in each country I pull into during deployment and just pop in a local pre-paid sim card and use it no problems, and the wi-fi is much better than the Ipod Touch I was trying to use last deployment.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the Iphone 4 and I know its kind of older but a couple of my friends have the galaxy s3 and it seems like they can do a lot more on that then i can so next phone will be a galaxy s3 or a razar

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's another thing, wifi is bullshit on my Droid-X,i can be sitting right next to the damn router and it's just so slow,and keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, when none of my other devices do this,just my ragged ass motorola droid-x.

I had a Galaxy S3 briefly, but i returned it because i didn't want the new plan with the expensive data package. Right now i am on Verizon and have the old unlimited data package, so whatever i buy won't be on upgrade or whatever..

Looking through craigslist there's a ton of cheap Iphone 4's, but i really wanted something 4G after having this 3G droid-x for so long.

If i can find a good shape iphone 4 for like 150, i'll try it out.. and be saving up cash to buy a new Droid Razr Maxx or Maxx HD in a few months, unless they've come out with something even better in February or so.

·
King Daddy D.O.G.!!
11,982 Posts
I had the Droid 2 Global for 2 years...it was a fairly decent phone. I just upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 822 running Windows 8. So far, it's a good phone. Of course I have less apps available (100,000 compared to 500,000), but it's packed with other features, and the speed is huge. I can also share my internet with other devices easier than I could with the Droid.

I wouldn't touch an iPhone...the memory can't be expanded. The Lumia 822 came with 16 gigs, and I expanded it by adding another 32 gig chip, giving me 48 gig of space...more than enough for my music and such. It also comes with Office, so I can work on and pass documents between the phone and the PC. It also links up well with the computer, and loads songs faster than my Droid did.

I had to wait two weeks for the Otter Box to become available, but it's out now...I picked the phone up 3 days after Verizon began offering it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am currently using a Droid X about 2 years old. I am up for an upgrade and considering the Note 2. I am a 6'3 guy and I have held the phone and it is not too bad size wise. My kid plays on my phones alot so the stylus pen will be a good learning tool for her too. So right around tax time I will be purchasing the Note 2 and the gf will be getting the S3.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I currently have a Thunderbolt rooted running a modded ICS rom.

My next phone will be an S3 or a Note 2. Those are both some very nice phones and the best of them all at the moment.

I have heard the Galaxy S4 is on its way sometime around spring and will put all the current phones to shame.

·
9,489 Posts
It all depends on the person.. I have baseball mitts at the ends of my arms so a big phone is comfortable. The Note 2 isn't all that much bigger than the S2. My sister in law has the S3 and she loves it but I'm liking the stylus features on the Note..

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Depends on what you wanna do with the phone. The iphone 5 can do most of the things that an android can do 2 years ago. But I'd still stick with an iphone because of its reliability, and high quality apps. The only android phone I had was an original Droid, liked it a lot for the first year then afterwards it was the most unreliable POS of any electronic device I've ever owned. I know the new phones are vastly superior compared to the OG Droid in terms of software and hardware, and that Galaxy SIII is a damn sweet phone. But when I'm spending $100+ a month for a cell phone, I'm buying the highest quality and most reliable piece of electronic on the market. Apple makes that.

Besides, I don't really do anything on an android that iOS can't do, and by now I'm heavily invested in iTunes.

·
17,623 Posts
I think my wife would disagree on the reliability of the iphone. And having to rely on itunes to load anything onto the phone sucks, as well as having a fixed memory capacity. With my Droid3 I can have multiple SD cards with different shit loaded on them. One for movies if i want to watch some movies, one for music, or a few different ones depending on the type of music I want to listen to and swap them out as i feel instead of having to put everything into Itunes and hook it up to a computer to switch things around and be limited by how much memory is on the phones internal storage.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts