Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been searching for hours and do not want to create yet another thread on this subject but... I have a 2000 Dakota RC 2WD 5 speed ( my d.d.) and a recently acquired 1999 Durango 5.2 with a blown transmission. I have wanted to do the swap for a few months and I am now ready. My questions are... Can anyone point me in the direction of a known post / thread on a detailed build? Since this is my d.d. I want to knock it out in one weekend. I have the manpower to do it. I have the complete Durango to scavenge from. Is it easier to swap the harness or splice for the 7 / 8 injectors? Will the 1999 ECM work in my 2000? Do I use the 5.2 or 3.9 flywheel? Starter issues? I guess that will do it. I work in the repair business and have replaced engines plenty but never swapped a v6 out for a v8 and don't want to get ahead of myself. Again, didn't mean to post about a much talked about subject but I was getting no where with looking around. Thanks and any info would be greatly appreciated. :deadhorse:.

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Splice in the 2 new injectors.

You're gonna need a 99 Dakota 5.2 5spd computer.

3.9/5.2/5.9 starters are all the same,with 1 catch- The power connector.. 99+ have a pigtail plug in deal, 98 and older just have a flat washer type deal thats held on the starter with a nut.. Not a big obstacle, cut and splice whatever you like.

Flywheel- You'll need one for a 99 Dakota 5.2 5spd.

Front motor accessories are the same, waterpumps, alternators,etc etc etc even the radiators are the same. Fan shrouds are different though,you can trim yours down with a Dremel or something,or just find one off a 97-99 5.2/5.9 and the actual clutch fan is different too.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Your better off swapping to a 4.7. The 4.7 was made to replace the 5.2
The amount of work that swap would take you may as well drop in a 5.7 Hemi. 318's outlast 4.7's in mileage anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea true. Me personally I'd part out that car and you would get enough cash to buy a new 318 create ermine plus have extra to spend modding your truck. Overall the 318 is best but i do love the 287. Ours actually a pretty decent engine

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've yet to pop any gaskets nor have i heard of that yet. Ilk have to keep that in mind and anything having to do with dodge is expensive lol.

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
It will sooner or later, it's almost a guaranteed thing to happen with a 4.7

My parent's 4.7 ram, one day just driving along 30 mph down the beach and all of a sudden boom, steaming like a motherfucker out the exhaust, pull over and check, and it's coolant- blown head gasket.

And then i know at least 3 other people that their 4.7 powered vehicle, whether it be a Ram,Dakota or a Jeep, have had their 4.7 just randomly blow a head gasket.

When my parents fixed their ram, it cost them right at 2k and that was just sending the heads to the machine shop, gaskets and whatever else is necessary, but the shop didn't take 1 step out of their way to fix or clean shit, just a by the book head gasket job and that's it..for 2k..

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
And I've seen a few 4.7's break timing chains.

·
Registered ABUser
1,097 Posts
My cousin bought a Grand Cherokee with a broke timing chain, and the guy up the road from him had a 01 or 02 Dakota he was working on with a 4.7 and broke timing chain as well. I don't know if that was just a couple of isolated incidents or what. I haven't heard just a whole lot about it, but if you Google, "4.7 broke timing chain" there are quite a few hits on it. I know timing belts need to be replaced at about 100k miles as a rule of thumb, I've never really seen a spec on chains. I know when I was working for Cadillac those Northstars would come in for headgaskets with 200k miles and the stock chain, we would just put new chain tensioners and slides on and let it roll. GM said they last longer than the engine does typically, never had one break that I saw, but I'm sure it has happened on occasion. It could just be a manufacturer difference or tension on the chain, a number of factors.

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
Yeah, i've heard of the timing chain issues, but it's mostly random head gasket failures you hear about with the 4.7, it's probably more common than a 6.0 Powerstroke blowing the heads off..lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea true. They should out last the engine. I was going to say i have a 4.7 with 166,000 on it and it's running like a champ. Never had issues before. Well maintained with synthetic oil too though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your better off swapping to a 4.7. The 4.7 was made to replace the 5.2
Already did it. Took about 10 hours. Cost me $350. Sold the Durango T.C. for $200, rear tailgate for $100, wheels and tires for $250 and scrapped the rest (after keeping some stuff for the Dakota) for $300. So, I got paid $500 for swapping in the 5.2... Sounds like a good deal to me. But I feel I may need a new trans. soon... And let me tell you the diff. between the two engines is night and day. I love it.

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
I'm sure religious maintenance plays a part, but I'd still love to know why they just randomly blow head gaskets. Key is never ever letting it overheat or even close to. Get a 180 T-stat, make sure the fan is working, and fresh good coolant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
180 is by far one of the best upgrades you can do by far. And not overheating is just common sense for the most part. You really do just need to take care of her. Probably blows them like the manifolds. Just cause they aren't properly machined.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 318's have cheap cores, aren't expensive to work on or replace, and are cheap to seriously mod.

The 4.7's not bad if it's left stock. Expensive cores. Overall pretty good motors when not neglected. They randomly blow head gaskets because it isn't random. If they do it, they've been too hot before. The cooling systems on a lot of what they live in are sketchy on a good day. Just like they randomly throw rods because somebody wore the mains hard experimenting with dirty crappy oil for overextended time periods.

Either'd be a good 5spd swap trans, but going from a 3.9 the motor would be a 5.2. Very similar in build.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts