Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for more members to start getting information flowing....

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Well you might be the only one, so how do you like the new Dak? I am not to fond of the new look, but I do think that it is a good truck, from what I read they improved them alot over the last gen.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm happy with it, I was tossed up between the canyon, tacoma and the Dakota...

The dealer here was the most outgoing of the three dealerships...

The canyon was comfortable, but the options didn't suit it and the plastic fenders scared me into thinking of rust.

The toy was a great toy, thought went into it, but it was more expensive.
And I didn't find the cab to comfortable, hated the idea of adjusting tot the truck rather then the truck adjusting to me.

The dak came in close to the canyon, I was surprised at the options I got in a SLT...what sold me was my jeep...it was so dependable, I hope this carries over to the dakota. I've put 890 km on it now and no real complaints, it's comfortable...handles nice. It keeps me really excited thinking of taking a road trip with it...only thing I don't like is the transfer case knob...electronic shifters scare me as I'm an avid wheeler (though this only serves for aily driving)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I believe you're the first and only 05 owner on this site. There's a guy on DakotaUSA with a Flame Red SLT quad cab. So far he's painted to match the bumpers since he didn't get the Sport Appearance package. He soon wants to shave off the tailgate handle among other things.

Welcome to the site and have fun with the new truck. If there's any questions you need answered, just ask, and someone will try to help.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Hopefully we'll get some more 05+ Dakota owners in here soon, it seems like Dodge truck owners in general aren't as big on surfing the internet for information as a number of other vehicles, especially when there isn't a premier version anymore (ie: R/T) to catch the public's attention. As long as everyone keeps spreading the word about this website things will get even busier.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well then let me set the benchmark for others...It's a pretty big pain in the ass just to find little things right now fro thsi truck...still tracking down a dash kit so
I can throw a mp3 deck in...

I also need to figure a trick way to mount my VHF radio...

·
Registered
11 Posts
another 05 owner checking in :) There just aren't many of the '05's running around yet. I think I've seen 2 on the road other than mine (and I think one was out for a test-drive, it was 2 blocks from the Dodge dealer in Fargo!) No matter what the brand-x guys say the Dakota's still the only true mid-size. I test drove a Colorado and hated it. It seemed so tall and narrow that it felt like it was going to tip over on every turn and the 5-cylinder didn't impress me. I could have had a Ranger for not much $ but even in nice FX4 trim it's still a Ford, still a Ranger. My dad's '93 and '95 clubcab v6 5-speed 4x4s have been good so that helped my decision. I love the styling inside and out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ptschett said:
another 05 owner checking in :) There just aren't many of the '05's running around yet. I think I've seen 2 on the road other than mine (and I think one was out for a test-drive, it was 2 blocks from the Dodge dealer in Fargo!) No matter what the brand-x guys say the Dakota's still the only true mid-size. I test drove a Colorado and hated it. It seemed so tall and narrow that it felt like it was going to tip over on every turn and the 5-cylinder didn't impress me. I could have had a Ranger for not much $ but even in nice FX4 trim it's still a Ford, still a Ranger. My dad's '93 and '95 clubcab v6 5-speed 4x4s have been good so that helped my decision. I love the styling inside and out.
heh, ford....that's not even an option...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey another '05 owner here! I'm with you I can't find any info on anything yet. looking to install a new alpine stereo and speakers but can't get any measurments yet anyone know if the quabs front and back doors are the same I'm guessing they look close in size from the outside?

love the truck so far traded in a '01 durango SLT 4.7 on it. don't care for the new style much as the others gens and I hate chrome! oh well had them throw in wind screens for all 4 windows and bug guard and bed liner from morpar to seal the deal. paying less a month now and insurance went down go figure!

handles much better than my 01 durango. tighter, smoother a little louder from road noise inside and with about 400 miles so far gas milage is about the same really but I hope that becomes a little better.

ok how about the ugly wood plastic around the stereo what is that all about? comes on the SLT and I guess but why? does not match anything and is real ugly.

anyone know how to remove the 4 doors and stereo for an '05 let me know before I mess up a clip or something.

thanks

·
1 Ton Dakota
878 Posts
in los angeles, i think ive only seen about five 05 daks....and about thirty 05 tacos. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE! heh

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
jldesign said:
hey another '05 owner here! I'm with you I can't find any info on anything yet. looking to install a new alpine stereo and speakers but can't get any measurments yet anyone know if the quabs front and back doors are the same I'm guessing they look close in size from the outside?

l

hey my buddy is a mechanic for Dodge, he has access to there tech only website, has his own password and login. HE has already sent me schematics for speakers and lighting, we're thinking the stock speakers are 6 1/2's and I've looked into a dash kit for the dac so I can throw a mp3 deck in. metra is a company that makes dash ktis for aftermarket kits...

As for style, I like it, except for the hood, it loks like they built it from a picture where the angle was mis drawn (like a little kid would) but I like the sharp cuts in the body lines, kinda reminds me of the cars fromt he 80's trying to look hightech

·
Disturbing the peace
67 Posts
I too am a gen IV owner. I picked up my black V6 CC SLT 4x4 thursday night.

I love it so far :mullet:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just purchased a 05 Club Cab SLT with the 3.7 engine, automatic and sport appearance package. I think the Gen III's look better but this thing sure does drive nice. Traded in a 96 Dakota Sport V-6 5-speed. The power seems about the same but the 05 has a much quieter ride. I really like it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right: they are nice. Just collected my own, this afternoon: bright red SLT 4x4, with the V8. Quiet, smooth and seems to be powerful enough. So far, couldn't be happier!

Costa
Alexandria, ON

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I really like my 04 Dak, but I have been looking into the 05 Daks, they are starting to grow on me, I think my next truck is going to be a Ram or a new Dak, I do know this DODGE is the only truck for me. :drive:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Everyone! Count me in with all the 2005 Dakota owners. I just traded in my 2000 Dakota CC 4x4 SLT for a 2005 Dakota Laramie 4x4. I have had it less than a week and I am happy so far. I did all the comparisons and found that the Dakota gives you the most for your money. Since I had a good 5 years with my 2000, I figured it made sense to go with something that is familiar. The front end definitely grows on you. I like it more each day. I look forward to chatting with more 2005 owners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another '05 here... I'm really digging it too - I picked it up last Wed. and already have almost 900 miles on it.

I'm looking for stuff to add as well. I've put on a bed cover, Rhino liner, and bed extender so far, but I would like to throw some dual exhaust on it.

Raleigh

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have an 05. I dont have what one would call the "best credit" so I got a base model ST without all the frills. I just put an alarm on that added PDL's, I put a new rear window in with the tint and slider and thats about it. I want to add:

dual exhaust
headers
air intake kit
jet chip

The only one I can find out for it right now is the chip but I dont want to get it until I get all the other so I can just get a stage 2 chip. I would like a bolt on setup for the exhaust and that does not seem to be an option right now. People need to hurry up and make mods for this truck!

I would also like to get a spray on liner ... being a past Line-X customer I really want to get it but cannot pop 500.00 on it right now, I have a hookup on Rhino to get it for 300 but I just dont like the look of rhino. If anyone has an 05 with Rhino over the rails, can I see a pic?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not so new 05 owner here (well, new to the site). Had mine since October and put 13k on it so far. Got the SLT with the 4.7 V8, 5spd auto.

And yeah, I've done a few mods to it! :D
  • Removed Rear Exhaust Resonator
  • Removed Cupholders
  • Painted Door Handles, Mirrors, & Bumpers
  • Tinted Windows
  • Rhino Liner
  • Carrage Works Billet Grille
  • ARE Tonneau Cover
  • K&N Drop-In Air Filter

Here's A pic:

It's good to see this many gen4 owners! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
New member here, got one too

2005 CC SLT 4.7L 4x4, Flame Red

1500 miles so far, likin' it. Traded in a '97 CC SLT 5.2 4x4...only mod so far is Infinity Reference 6.5" speakers for the front doors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts