Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 durango with the 5.2 in it and original trans. i dont believe that any work has ever bin done to it before except maybe a flush before i had owned it. With what i have expierenced as a tech at a few shops is that Dodge truck transmissions fail at about 90K or so so i was thinking to drop the trans and rebuild it with a shitf kit and a aftermarket converter, except that im not really sure what shift kit or converter to use....im not even sure what trans i have in it (i work for chevy :rant: ) so i was wondering if any of you could help me out with what kind of parts to throw at my durango as well as help with IDing it. its a 99 durango 5.2L 4x4. hopefully after i know everything is is 100% with my truck i can get into the motor a bit and shoot for my 15 sec. 1/4 mile goal on the 318. :drive:

thanks ahead of time for ur help - Abe

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
well, i gots 118K on my 99 R/T 46RE tranny. only changed fluid/filter as required.

only prob with shift kits and such is the elex that controll the tranny. gotta do sumthin with the ECM...

the converter *should* match the cam and heads for your motor... so gotta plan for that as well.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
My 99 r/t has 84k miles and the trans is still in good shape, but the shifts arent up to par IMO, so its getting a full rebuild with a 2400 stall converter and a transgo shift kit next month.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
I got over 134k on my original tranny, It has only missed one shift since Ive owned it (4 years) and that was in 20 below weather with no warmup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts