Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Texas
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the tips at intense-dakota.com it says the using True duals that it pulses and not giveing the same HP gain as if you went with a catback system. I thought the use of a H pipe was to fix this problem. If i were to go witha catback system would i still be able to use headers?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but reading that kinda confused me and im still learning. :bow: :help:

· Registered
2,027 Posts
You can still use hearders with a cat back, you just got to have a Y-pipe so it goes into single exhaust. i would do the cat back my self, but it's your truck so do what makes you happy.

· Registered
893 Posts
Another Exhaust question.......

Lets say I was to order an aftermarket cat back system from gibson, magnaflow, flowmaster, etc, etc is this a straight up bolt on or what. Will I need access to a pipe bender to tweak the system to get it to fit exactly. Thst is one of my fears that I have, I go buy the thing online or something and I go to install it and the pipes don't fit. I have no patience for things like that and I would hate to smash the thing afer spending 3-4 bills. thanks for the info.!

· Premium Member
1,087 Posts
This is kind of a tough topic to describe. Here goes...

I believe the true duals that he is referring to would be without an h-pipe or x-pipe. If you run duals without some sort of a crossover pipe to equalize the pulses then you definately wont see as much of a hp gain. On a single exit system, the y-pipe that comes off the headers kinda does the same thing an x-pipe would do for a dual exhaust, it equalizes the pulses. Except the single stays with one pipe and obviously for duals it split. As the website suggests, you dont want your pipes "fighting each other" ( :fight: ) I believe this all has something to do with backpressure. I think this is why the GSM duals provides excellent gains when switching from a typical 3in exhaust. The x-pipe equalizes the pulses better than a single exit system with a "y" would. As the exhaust pulses exits the x-pipe, it goes into 2 pipes with equal pulses in each pipe and then goes into the muffler. It comes out the tips of the pipes producing the same sound. Have you ever noticed that a car with a mean, aggresive sound usually has more hp? I'll also bet that car has a well thought out exhaust system.

I hope that helped..........I feel like i just wrote a novel :jester:

· Premium Member
1,087 Posts
GOON'S D said:

Lets say I was to order an aftermarket cat back system from gibson, magnaflow, flowmaster, etc, etc is this a straight up bolt on or what. Will I need access to a pipe bender to tweak the system to get it to fit exactly. Thst is one of my fears that I have, I go buy the thing online or something and I go to install it and the pipes don't fit. I have no patience for things like that and I would hate to smash the thing afer spending 3-4 bills. thanks for the info.!
A cat-back is just that, cat back. You should just have to cut the rest of the exhaust behind the last cat (or where the instructions tell you) and take the stock stuff out. Line up your pipes with the hangers, clamp it on there and if you want, take it to and exhaust shop to get it welded up. The only way you would have to use a pipe bender is if you are doing a total custom exhaust or if you ordered the wrong exhaust and are tryign to MAKE it fit heh

· Texas
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WicKed R/T said:
This is kind of a tough topic to describe. Here goes...

I believe the true duals that he is referring to would be without an h-pipe or x-pipe. If you run duals without some sort of a crossover pipe to equalize the pulses then you definately wont see as much of a hp gain. On a single exit system, the y-pipe that comes off the headers kinda does the same thing an x-pipe would do for a dual exhaust, it equalizes the pulses. Except the single stays with one pipe and obviously for duals it split. As the website suggests, you dont want your pipes "fighting each other" ( :fight: ) I believe this all has something to do with backpressure. I think this is why the GSM duals provides excellent gains when switching from a typical 3in exhaust. The x-pipe equalizes the pulses better than a single exit system with a "y" would. As the exhaust pulses exits the x-pipe, it goes into 2 pipes with equal pulses in each pipe and then goes into the muffler. It comes out the tips of the pipes producing the same sound. Have you ever noticed that a car with a mean, aggresive sound usually has more hp? I'll also bet that car has a well thought out exhaust system.

I hope that helped..........I feel like i just wrote a novel :jester:

LOL

That does clear things up and that is what i thought the H/X pipe was for. The article just didnt make sense and should have a been a bit more clear. From my POV he made it sound like that a catback was better. I would like true dual. I like the sound of the magnaflow from the sound clip they have, sounds better then the others to me. :banana2:
thanks Wicked

· Registered
462 Posts
The Gibson cat back bolts right up and requires little modifications. On my Gibson I had to cut the tail pipes to length and attach the tips. The hardest part was removing the old system.

If I had to do it over again I would have had a local shop bend and install the pipes for me instead of buying the Gibson. Most shops where I live carry Flowmaster mufflers and will custom bend the pipes.

· Registered
2,398 Posts
GOON'S D said:

To install a cat-back on the Durango, the pipe from the muffler inlet on back is removed. The pipe from the cat to the muffler is inside the muffler inlet and is clamped. After removing the muffler clamp, the pipes will be crimped together from the muffler clamp. You will need to split the muffler inlet with a cut off wheel, dremmel, air chisel etc. After that it is easy. With that said, if all you are looking for is just a free flow muffler and sound, don't waste money on a cat back. The stock tail pipe is 2 1/2 mandrel bent stainless steel. Just get an aftermarket muffler and have a shop wild it in and add an exhaust tip if you want.

· Registered
893 Posts
I would prefer to get a stainless tell system so tat I never have to worry about it again. The exhaust that I have now shows serious surface rust and when the time comes I would like to rip it all out and install stainless steel pipes. I know that magnaflow has a stainless steel cat-back available with a stock rear exit. Thanks for the info guys. I suppose that I will hurdle this mountain when the time comes!

· Registered
2,027 Posts
If you just want sound just have a muffler shop take out the muffler and put a piece of pipe in there and there you have a loud truck for cheap and it is still legal, well it is in Ohio.

· Registered
40 Posts
Not to sound ignorant but i belive adding an h- ot x-pipe would actually yeild an improvement on a true dual system. I don't know how to explain it but at least i know what im talking about :jester: :sorry:

· Registered
2,398 Posts
Goon,

The stock exhaust is stainless steel. Certain grades of stainless will surface rust. It is only surface rust but it will not rust through.

· Registered
893 Posts
Neil

Well that is some encouragement. Maybe I will just go with the muffler then. All that rust sure looks like sh!t though!

· Registered
2,027 Posts
9c1 owner said:
Not to sound ignorant but i belive adding an h- ot x-pipe would actually yeild an improvement on a true dual system. I don't know how to explain it but at least i know what im talking about :jester: :sorry:
You will losse power on a true dual system if you don't run a H or X pipe. I remember a few years ago Hot Rod mag did a write up on the topic and they tested a 69 or something around there Cuttless and the ran open headers, then true dual's then the dual's with the H and the the X . The system with out the X or H lost alot of power over the open headers, but the H pipe system made almost as much power as open, and the the X made just about as much as the open, so yes they do work really :drive: well, My Mustang 5.0 has an H-pipe stock.

· Texas
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i would like dual's and like the sound the magna flow. I should by the mangaflow mufflers and then hava a shop do custom pipes with an H or X pipe? one thing i have been tring to find is what exiting pipe size on the gibson headers for a 4.7?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.