Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I took my truck in for an alignment since I just replaced the ball joints and you can clearly see the alignment issue. If you look at the truck from the front the tires look similar to this \ / . Well they put the truck up on the lift and have it up there for about 10 minutes and then they come and get me to take a look at a "big problem".

When we get to my truck they push in on the forward side of the wheel/tire and point to the inner tie rod moving in and out about 1/8" to maybe a 1/4" and proceed to tell me I need a new rack and pinion which they can do for $340.

I don't have any steering fluid leaks anywhere and I have no steering issues. Does this amount of "play" in the inner tie rod sound like it is within tolerance?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Inner tie rod ends are $10 each, but it takes a special technique to get them out. Any shop that's not willing to change them out is not a shop you want to deal with.

Steering racks are darned robust inside and seldom 'wear out'.

Are you sure that the one wheel was completely stationary when the other wheel had the play? Old trick is to just push on one and show it moves around.

I'll be where you've been soon - ordered the ball joints this week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts