Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my friends dak got broken into. They broke his window and stole his cd player plus few other things. This got me to thinking about getting an alarm for my truck. I'm planning on going with a Viper setup but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which model to go with or if i should consider looking into other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I plan on getting a viper one. There is one at curcit city for like 260, and that including install... which is REALLY GOOD... in my opinion. I think viper is the best... from what I've heard, I havent' done a whole lot of research on this topic. but do a google search, and see what you come up with. Post on here what you find.

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
There are alot of alarm setups you can get. You can go from basic to if someone looks at your truck funny it will go off, well not that extreme lol but you know what i mean. You can get one that will jsut sound an alarm, or you can get one that will kill the starter. Depends on what you want and what your willing to spend. I suggest going to you local audio shop and talking with them and then decide which system is right for you. One thing i suggest is going to a reputable audio/car electronics shop in your area because i know people that work at best buy and curcuit city and lets just say you would be better off not going there lol.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twistedrt01,

There are alot of alarm setups you can get. You can go from basic to if someone looks at your truck funny it will go off, well not that extreme lol but you know what i mean. You can get one that will jsut sound an alarm, or you can get one that will kill the starter. Depends on what you want and what your willing to spend. I suggest going to you local audio shop and talking with them and then decide which system is right for you. One thing i suggest is going to a reputable audio/car electronics shop in your area because i know people that work at best buy and curcuit city and lets just say you would be better off not going there lol.
Thanks for the good info. I'll go check out a few audio shops this weekend (time permitting) and see what they're offering. I'll let you guys know which one im going with. Right now im looking at the Viper 850xv (http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_esp.asp) or the 791xv (http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp). I like the 791xv mainly b/c of the coolness factor.......:cool: hehe

·
Registered
243 Posts
Viper

I have a Viper 800 with autostart. I also put in a motion sensor for an upgrade. Someone in my car club has that responder, it is very cool, but the remotes (you only get on cool one, then a crappy replacement) go for over $100. Viper is the way to go though, so I think.

Later,

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked a guy at my local audio shop today. For the 350hv (pretty much the basic kit)plus install its $259. Even though i said i might get the 850, i might end up going with the system a step above the 350, which is the 650xv. Adds a 4 button remote and upgrades to an XHF receiver instead of a 3 button remote and a hf+ receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
There is nothing wrong with going to best buy or circuit city to get your alarm installed and bought.... as long as you've done some research on them before hand. You don't want them feeding you stuff that will make you buy it that isn't true.

I know there is an alarm that sends a message to a pager/cell phone that someone is stealing your car... or tampering with your car, so that you can get your lazy ass outa bed, and catch em' in the act.... now wouldn't that be fun. My bat from high school would come in great use.

Paul

B

·
0 Posts
I agree, you can get a good product and good service from Circuit City and Best Buy but beware of the quick talking salesman. You should be able to tell in the first 2 minutes if they know what they are talking about or not. I have a viper alarm w/remote start and wish I had gotten the cool remote that tells you when your alarm is going off. So it might be an option you should look into.
J

T

·
0 Posts
alarm

I have the viper 790 xv installed in my 98 dak right now. I belive that or the 791 is your best bet. They come with the lcd remotes and all. I paid $215 after shipping for mine from savinglots.com and a friend of mine installed it. Great alarm. Circuit city charges way too much for it though. I know I work there. Go around to local shops and see how much they would charge to install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts