Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through other threads, and done some searching but havent found the exact answers im lookin for, so i was curious if anybody had this type of setup on their truck or any of their cars and how it does? any pro's/cons to one or the other? What kind of price range am i looking at on one? And anybody have any experience installing them? i put a basic system in my truck that just handles basic alarm and keyless entry, and it was a PITA, but that was probably because i was doing it in the parking deck of my apartment complex, i have plenty of wiring abilities, and know how to use a meter, so i'd probably be installing it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sent mine in to have that installed, among other things. I had to go back to get something out of my trunk so since they finished the system. i got to see a demo. actually, it's quite awesome and well worth the money. and if your car supports it, the remote can be configured to control other things like the power liftgate.

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent mine in to have that installed, among other things. I had to go back to get something out of my trunk so since they finished the system. i got to see a demo. actually, it's quite awesome and well worth the money. and if your car supports it, the remote can be configured to control other things like the power liftgate.
so what setup do you have?

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
I have a Crimestopper CS-2016FM. It's a 2 way RS/Keyless/Alarm. I had it in my old Ramcharger, and I transferred it into my Durango when I bought it (2 years ago). So I've had this for almost 4 years and I honestly can't say anything bad about it. The install is relatively straightforward, just matching colored wires. The worst part about the install is the programming. You have to tap in codes on the valet button, and there's I think 36 different settings to do. But the good thing is you only have to do it once! :D There's a couple modules you will need, one for the locks, and one for the immobilizer bypass if you have the gray key, but those are cake.

I have replaced the 2 way remote once, and I am about ready to buy a new one again, but it's not for lack of quality. The first one went through the washer and dryer, and the current one fell out of my pocket and hit the ground from 20 feet and the LCD cracked. But it still works!

The range is great. It's in the 1500' ish area. The alarm paging is even better.

IDK if its available still, but I paid $130 on ebay for it, and it was a $300-400 system if I had got it at a regular place.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
Wait.. I just realized you have a 5 speed. You need a RS specifically designed for a manual. DO NOT use a RS designed for an automatic in a manual vehicle.

I posted this a couple weeks ago in another RS thread here..

That being said, NEVER EVER EVER EVER install a remote start designed for an automatic trans on a manual. A starter designed for a manual will have that listed as a specific feature. The reason is a manual-ready starter makes you perform a specific sequence of steps before you are able to remotely start it.

You have to:

• Leave the engine running with transmission in N and brake and clutch pressed down
  • Press the START button on the remote
  • Engage the handbrake
  • Release the service brake and clutch
  • Turn off and remove key (engine will still be running)
  • Open the door and exit the vehicle (engine will still be running)
  • Close the door (engine will shut off)

This sequence tells the starter brain that the transmission was in neutral the last time you exited, and it is safe to start. If you open a door after the starting sequence has been set, it cancels and you would have to close the door, start it with the key, and do it over.

The $30 bulldog will not have this feature. You have to spend more, but to get the right unit for the application, not because someone else doesn't like the brand.

BUT.. It is a royal pain in the ass, and more often than not, you'll forget to do it. Then you'll be tempted to bypass something and then you'll press that button one day and you'll hear a horrific noise as the car mows down 2 nuns and a retard before bulldozing into your neighbor's bedroom.

Bottom line, a remote start in a manual just ain't worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts