Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Airaid Airbox Kit

i got my Airraid Complete system today....installation was hella easy for a guy like me who has done only simple things in the past (i.e. changing oil, flush radiator, replacing hoses). Wow what an improvement, sound is great, pickup is amazingly better, i actually can feel it and see it somewhat.

Went for my first little test drive and sounded awesome. Came back, tightend everything up, then went on a longer drive, and drove through this empty neighborhood. Well in the middle of the street i come upn there were like 10 12-14 boys on their bikes blocking the road splashing in some runoff water. Well anyways they start yelling at me to "peal out"...now i havent pealed out in a truck ever, did it in a trans-am once, but since ive only owned front wheel drive cars. Anyways i stop in the puddle and the kids are all cheering, i give it a rev or two and one little kid yells out "hes gunna do it!!!" they all back up. I let the thing rip and im thrust back into the seat, the wheels try hard to gain traction and i fishtail slightly, i make some squeals and the truck just takes off, i hear the screams of kids, smell some rubber, and then look in the rear view to see them all jumpin up and down screaming and waving at me. It was awesome, made every single penny i spent on this setup worth it :D :D

Anyways attached are some images and a link to a video so you can hear the sound.

Video :clap2:

· I like trucks
510 Posts
haha good story. The vid has no sound tho..probably just me.

I had a car full of young kids tell me to rev up at a light once. It was under a bridge over pass so I opened the cutout up and revved it up... :rofl: shoulda seen their faces. :biggthump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drakkon said:
i got my Airraid Complete system today....installation was hella easy for a guy like me who has done only simple things in the past (i.e. changing oil, flush radiator, replacing hoses). Wow what an improvement, sound is great, pickup is amazingly better, i actually can feel it and see it somewhat.

Went for my first little test drive and sounded awesome. Came back, tightend everything up, then went on a longer drive, and drove through this empty neighborhood. Well in the middle of the street i come upn there were like 10 12-14 boys on their bikes blocking the road splashing in some runoff water. Well anyways they start yelling at me to "peal out"...now i havent pealed out in a truck ever, did it in a trans-am once, but since ive only owned front wheel drive cars. Anyways i stop in the puddle and the kids are all cheering, i give it a rev or two and one little kid yells out "hes gunna do it!!!" they all back up. I let the thing rip and im thrust back into the seat, the wheels try hard to gain traction and i fishtail slightly, i make some squeals and the truck just takes off, i hear the screams of kids, smell some rubber, and then look in the rear view to see them all jumpin up and down screaming and waving at me. It was awesome, made every single penny i spent on this setup worth it :D :D

Anyways attached are some images and a link to a video so you can hear the sound.

Video :clap2:
Can you tell me something? Is the open top of the air raid box supposed to seal on the underside of the hood? Thank You,
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The top of the airaid box is covered with wheather stripping so i believe when the hood is down a seal is made between the box an the hood, although the one side is still open to the environment, which im not sure is a good or bad thing. The only thing i been concerned about is water/rain getting in but dont get much here not too worried :biggthump

· Registered
38 Posts
air

Where does the air actually come into the box from?
I see that 1 side (left) is open..but is that it?

I sorta like the way the stock airbox sucks the air from the outside of the engine compartment... but this one looks like it gets air from inside the compartment.

What kind of change did you see with this setup?
Power/mileage etc..?

I have a stock box w/ a K&N drop in and I was considering getting the whole CAI setup but I'm not sure if it is worth it.

· Registered
38 Posts
You know..at first I though I did...
maybe because I wanted it to.
But I really dont notice any HP improvement.
And the MPG didnt change either...

I did tests before I added the Cat-Backs so I am retesting now.
I am also going to add a AirRaid Intake Tube soon because that may be the reason its not making a difference... Just not enough Flow.

But just the Drop-in; I didnt notice anything.

I did notice the Gas milage went up about 2MPG when I hit around 4,000 miles. its averaging 15.5 MPG consistant now and I have a heavy foot.
I did a 250Mile trip a few days ago and was doing 85+ the whole ride and I averaged 17.2 the whole trip. (great for a V8)
So there is some truth to that.

· Registered
7 Posts
Great info, Thanks.

Please keep us posted on the intake tube addition, as I am interested in this setup as well. When I bought my truck the fleet manager told me to get a K&N type airfilter for mileage and power, that I would not be disappointed. He didn't say drop-in or CAI though.

Your mileage info is encouraging, as I have 3K on mine now and ANY improvement is welcomed.

I too am a bit heavy footed as I have not has a V8 in a long time, and the 4.7 runs pretty good for a small motor... :)

I am also thinking about a Transgo shiftkit, but am concerned about warranty issues. I called Transgo and talked to them about it, (their kit comes with a stronger accumulator plate with Transgo stamped on it) and he said just use the original if it is still in good condition, and it would be very hard to detect the kit has been installed if there is a problem with the tranny.
Still thinking on this one.

Thanks,
LB

· Registered
61 Posts
I wonder how that compares to the setup I bought off ebay. I'll have to snap some pics for you guys. I removed some of that rubber mat that deflects the air to the radiator so the air can shoot straight back to the intake (open cone) Also, installed a plastic "heat shield" to keep the hot radiator air away. I also didn't feel a difference, but you can't feel a tenth of a second anyway.
I like the design of that intake though, we should dyno both of our's back to back on your truck. :biggthump

· Registered
214 Posts
Slick!
Amsoil has a better filter, when change time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.