Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, my brother in law and i changed out the plugs, rotor and cap. then we decided to tackle my non working a/c. we got his continuity penlight out and started at the wires on the compressor. no power, then we tried the wiring harness coming out of the main relay/fuse box. nothing. then we tried the relay. juice on the far right pin. we switched the relay out with the horn. both have the same number relay installed. and the horn works. we also tested the fuse for voltage and it checked positive. we then ran a jumper wire from the fuse to the blue/black striped wire on the harness and magically my compressor clutch engaged. my question is: where is my problem at? what can i do. i would like to attempt to fix this on my own and keep it out of a shop. i figure that the hottest part of the summer is almost over and i do have some time to kill before it gets hot next year.

EDIT: the truck is a 1998, 2wd, 60K miles, dakota.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
. Did you check the fuse on the side of the dash? Basically youre bypassing all the controls and other fuses and feeding power directly to the compressor from what Im reading. You may have a relay that went out also

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob454 said:
. Did you check the fuse on the side of the dash? Basically youre bypassing all the controls and other fuses and feeding power directly to the compressor from what Im reading. You may have a relay that went out also

there is no fuse on the side of the dash for a/c. which one would it be? i have a 98 if that makes a difference. when i switched relays with the horn, the horn still worked. bad relay socket maybe? i was thinking of just running a 12v wire off the battery with a 20amp fuse and tap it into the wire. dunno.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
No dont take out your AC. Check and see if youre getting power to your on switch for the ac. The button should be hooked to a relay so this way you dont have constant power through one leg of the switch. the switch may make a ground connection. Take off the wire that is hooked to the compressor and short the conectir with a piece of wire. Turn your ac on like you were gonna use it but disconnect the compressor wire first. If the AC kicks on when you short the wire then you have a bad switch at the compressor.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not an AC expert but i believe it has a pressure switch so it will not turn on if there is no refredgerant in the system (or not enough) find out if there is some in your system, it might not have anything to do with the compressor at all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.