Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle while acellerating between 1800-2500 rpms and it's driving me crazy : :help: I took it to the dealer and he replaced the belly pan gasket.
But it is still doing it.I now want to get my own service manual and tear down the whole intake setup my self because the idiots at the dealership can never do things right the first time!!!Can some one out there help me fix this annoying sound.Could it be anything other than the intake area. :cussing:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already using 93 octane

I never put any thing but 93 octane in it since I bought it.
I had bosch platinums in there but it did the same thing.
I'm back to the original equipment Champions.Are the autolites any different?
Do you think that the torque converter shield could be rattling since it only does this at a certain rpm and gear? :help:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rattle

It happens at both times. While accelerating at that rpm only.
Weird huh!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
00'Durangor/t said:
It happens at both times. While accelerating at that rpm only.
Weird huh!!
I got it ---- my truck makes similar noise.... have you listened really good from underneath the front crank pulley???? I bet you have a timing chain or tensioner making noise - pretty common thing on these. Noise drove me crazy until i layed down underneath the pulley and got a long screwdriver and put it on there and then put my ear on eand of ahndle and could hear it loud and clear. Just a thought! good luck

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
go---fish said:
I got it ---- my truck makes similar noise.... have you listened really good from underneath the front crank pulley???? I bet you have a timing chain or tensioner making noise - pretty common thing on these. Noise drove me crazy until i layed down underneath the pulley and got a long screwdriver and put it on there and then put my ear on eand of ahndle and could hear it loud and clear. Just a thought! good luck
Now that is some knowledge!

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
What your hearng is called Pinging. If you still have your stock intake manifold your plenum gasket is blown. Look down your TB. You will see the crappy ass paper gasket dodge used pertruding into the intake. Thats your problem. You need to fix that. I would use a good RTV sealant. Like gasket in a can. That stuff can move when the engine heats up. What causes the gasket to blow is because the intake manifold is aluminum and the plenum plate is steel. So when both metals heat up they exprand and contract at different rates causing the gasket to tear apart. :biggthump

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys

Hey - sorry if I offended anyone - i just have a funny rattle and found the noise seemed to be coming from my timing cover. Thought it might help this guy if he checks that out. :sorry:
sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts