Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys in the process of changing my rad. i would like to install a aux. trans cooler, and i would like to know what it takes to install, and which companies to buy from, thanks in advance

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
It's not so hard to install (I'm not too knowledgeable to the install part) but get a good quality fan. Try to avoid pipe and fin radiators, get a good quality radiator. Not the cheap flimsy ones that look like hot water radiators in homes from the 70s.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
varsis how big of one did they recommend,

and yea i plan to place it either in front or behind my rad, b/c im workin on changin to the 00+ style in my 99, on reason my rad tank has a crack and to i got a good used one with the factory efan, condensor and over flow/ windshield washer tank for 40 bucks, lol

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
You should only use pipe and fin style coolers on our transmissions, otherwise your adding a pressure drop to your cooler circuit and putting undue stress on the pump.

http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page04.html

Those thin ones will fit between the A/C condenser and grille on the earlier trucks. I got one with barbs, on that page they have AN fittings, but poke around on perma-cool's website and you'll find something that will work for you.

I think mine is 22,000gvw In the dead heat of summer I can stall against my converter's stall for over a minute and trans temperature does not go above 190. Make sure you leave your stock cooler plumbed in series for the winter.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
varsis how big of one did they recommend,

and yea i plan to place it either in front or behind my rad, b/c im workin on changin to the 00+ style in my 99, on reason my rad tank has a crack and to i got a good used one with the factory efan, condensor and over flow/ windshield washer tank for 40 bucks, lol
Good lukc on the conversion and let us know how it works. Think you might run in to a few more problems. And don't rely on the OEM e-fan to keep your truck cool.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well guys i decided to just buy a new rad, just to be on the safe side, but i will be using the newer style rad on my other dakota that im working on its a 98 and ill be adding a trans cooler to it so ill keep you posted on the swap for it ,

but does anyone know how to disconnect the steel trans cooler lines from the rubber

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
They are quick disconnects. You can buy the tools at any parts store. Look like little rings with a split in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts