Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new JVC radio from Crutchfield. I weird everything correctly the radio turns on, does everything besides give me any sound.. checked all the speakers wires they are all right and connected good. New speakers less than a week ago in all 4 doors as well. Still working fine with the stock radio. I didn't bother to hook up the steering volume control (as I never use it) and I'm wondering if maybe that's what's keeping me from getting any sound? Really stumped. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,585 Posts
What year, which radio did you have, do you have the tweeters up in the door, and which wiring kit did Crutchfield send you?

And have you called their tech support number to get them to help you? That's part of what you paid for with Crutchfield.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year, which radio did you have, do you have the tweeters up in the door, and which wiring kit did Crutchfield send you?

And have you called their tech support number to get them to help you? That's part of what you paid for with Crutchfield.

RwP
I plan to call them in the morning, it does have tweeters those got replaced as and work with stock radio. I'm thinking it's bc I didn't hook up anything to the steering volume control(which I don't really care to have I never use them) . I used metro-70-1817 wiring harness Crutchfield sent. 2000 dodge durango SLT 4x4 4.7L

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Those are extra, shouldn't be needed.

You DID connect a ground wire, right?

Reading the instruction sheet, I find:

NOTE-1: For vehicles with the amplified sound systems including the Infinity sound systems: In order for the factory amplifier to turn on and off, connect the blue wire on the 70-1817 harness to the aftermarket radios amplifier turn on wire.

NOTE-2: For all vehicles: The manufacturer does not supply a lead for ground in the factory wiring so the 70-1817 does not have a black wire. The ground wire from your aftermarket radio should be connected to a grounded piece of the sub-dash. Many vehicles come with a flat metal strap bolted to the back of the factory radio. This strap can also be used for the aftermarket radio's ground
So I have to ask if you did both of those?

That tweeter shows it's the Infinity system.

And that will take the blue wire connected.

But yes, call them tomorrow morning.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the ground is hooked up to the radio like the factory one does. The ground and the two radio wiring harness are connected. I didn't use the connector for the steering wheel volume control left it un plugged. Everything else is plugged up and wired right, I'll be calling them as soon as they open and will post my answer I get! Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are extra, shouldn't be needed.

You DID connect a ground wire, right?

Reading the instruction sheet, I find:

So I have to ask if you did both of those?

That tweeter shows it's the Infinity system.

And that will take the blue wire connected.

But yes, call them tomorrow morning.

RwP
I'm thinking it's bc I didn't use the AMP wire. I just read what you found about that since I have the infinity system. I DIDNT use the Amp turn on wire in the 70-1817, I capped it off (thinking I'd use it later if u decided to get subs). Sooooo the Infinity stock Amp isn't getting any power or turning on. Bet that's my problem, thanks!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently installed a new JVC radio from Crutchfield. I weird everything correctly the radio turns on, does everything besides give me any sound.. checked all the speakers wires they are all right and connected good. New speakers less than a week ago in all 4 doors as well. Still working fine with the stock radio. I didn't bother to hook up the steering volume control (as I never use it) and I'm wondering if maybe that's what's keeping me from getting any sound? Really stumped. Any help or advice is much appreciated.
The main problem is. If you have the factory tweeters in the doors you have the upgraded factory stereo system which has a factory amp. You will have to bypass the factory amp in order for you to get the sound to work. There are YouTube videos on how to do it, and i believe crutchfield.com might even sell a wiring harness to do it as well. Also if you bought the radio through crutchfield.com they should be able to provide you with instructions on how to do it also. So my recommendation is watch some videos and contact crutchfield.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm thinking it's bc I didn't use the AMP wire. I just read what you found about that since I have the infinity system. I DIDNT use the Amp turn on wire in the 70-1817, I capped it off (thinking I'd use it later if u decided to get subs). Sooooo the Infinity stock Amp isn't getting any power or turning on. Bet that's my problem, thanks!!!
You never replied.

Did this fix it?

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
You never replied.

Did this fix it?

RwP
I am 98% sure you have to bypass the factory amp. Because aftermarket head units have there own internal amps. So you are unable to use a factory amp with an aftermarket amp. Its just not designed to do so. You have to bypass it like i said. The amp wire on the wiring harness is designed for aftermarket amps connected through preamp outputs (the RCA's on the back of the head unit. Like i said contact crutchfield and find out if the have a wiring harness to bypass tge factory amp. If not look up some youtube video's on how to do it

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am 98% sure you have to bypass the factory amp. Because aftermarket head units have there own internal amps. So you are unable to use a factory amp with an aftermarket amp. Its just not designed to do so. You have to bypass it like i said. The amp wire on the wiring harness is designed for aftermarket amps connected through preamp outputs (the RCA's on the back of the head unit. Like i said contact crutchfield and find out if the have a wiring harness to bypass tge factory amp. If not look up some youtube video's on how to do it
Main difference is - for the longest time, Infinity amps used speaker level inputs. So no, you don't need to bypass them, although it can yield better audio if you ALSO replace the lower impedance Infinity speakers with the proper ones for the head unit.

RwP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts