Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was googling around looking for a replacement license plate lamp after a little run-in with my PWC trailer.... different story.... and I found these:

I offered 11.75 and got a pair. They work great and look great on the truck. They are polarity protected so you really can't hook them up wrong.

They are super bright, very white, and have very neat red accent LED strips on the back side. I'm of the opinion that any light that improves your visibility to other drivers is a good thing. Especially since my aftermarket tail lights aren't as bright as the OEM ones were.

I did some modifications: cut off the connectors which were intended to plug into the bulb sockets and replaced them with metri-pak 150 connectors, same for the truck license lamp harness.

Cut a cardboard circle to fit inside the opening and filled the opening with hot melt glue. Water-proofed the crap out of the backside of the units. The circuitry was exposed and I knew that wouldn't live long.

Also had to trim both of the mounting tabs on each lamp as they were a tad too wide for the OEM bumper opening. Just a few minutes with a utility knife. That may be because I just had my new bumper powder coated, so that may have made the opening smaller and the bumper material effectively thicker.

Anyway WAYYYYYYY cheaper than OEM parts or Dorman parts. And IMHO, better.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm of the opinion that any light that improves your visibility to other drivers is a good thing. Especially since my aftermarket tail lights aren't as bright as the OEM ones were.
I completely agree with that statement and thank you for the info.
I personally changed all the rear lighting to led and the rear only ( brake , blinker , reverse lights ) and it was like night and day. as far as the tag light I may look at led for that as well but less worried about it, after all the only one needing to see my plate is the MAN. and as long as there lit! well there's no law on how bright my tag light should be as long as there lit LOL

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what they look like in a somewhat dark garage. I think it's a nice adder.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
very cool.
Did you put them side by side the old one's while you were installing them to see if it was in fact the powder coat that made them a bit difficult to install them?

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In fact I did. They are mechanically different underneath, and I did confirm that the new units did not have as large a "lip" so to speak, to accommodate the material thickness. Powder coat is thicker than paint and no doubt made this an interference fit. There is one stationary tab and one spring loaded tab. The stationary tab needed to be trimmed in width, and the spring loaded tab needed the lip opened up to grab the back side of the bumper.

Reactions: TLAC
1 - 5 of 5 Posts