Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought and installed Spyder Halo Headlights for my 03 Dodge Dakota. The headlight assembly only uses one of the two turn signal/drl bulb assemblies, and because of this, my turn signals hyperflash. Anyone know of a fix to this?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,441 Posts
Are the new ones also LEDs?

The flasher module is a EFL24/TM474 and there's no LED replacement for it that I have found; so the best solution is to add a resistor from the turn signal line to ground; typically a 6 ohm 25 to 50 watt. I'd use a 50W resistor bolted to a frame member, but it's up to you. (They'll get hot; be sure to keep it away from the plastic parts of the truck!)

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The turn signals are incandescent bulbs, and I’ve considered using a resistor, but I’m not sure what I’d need for my case, since leds aren’t involved. The bulb rating is 12 volt, 27 watt, 2.1 amp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the resistors I need, but I don’t know how many I need, because the turn signals and DRLs are tied into the same connector. Do I need a resister for both turn signal and drl cables, or just the turn signals? I’m not an electrician as you can tell. 😂

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The DRLs don't hyperflash, do they? If so, that's a different problem.

But just the turn signals is all you need to worry about; not even the parking lights.

Just one each side.

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not sure how to answer that. My DRLs and turn signals are in the same bulb. In “DRL mode” they don’t flash, but when I turn my turn signals on, they hyperflash

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Then just the turn signal hyperflashes. Good.

You put the between the 12V to the turn signal ONLY and ground.

That way, the flasher module sees that load, and will react to it.

Should not need any in the back, but just up front.

Again, get some resistors you can mount to the frame with some heat sink compound (or dielectric grease if you don't have HSC nearby)

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know, and the resistor heat sinks I bought have holes for screws, so I’ll probably use a few self tapping screws, unless you suggest using some sort of adhesive instead.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Between the frame and the resistor, use some heat sink compound or at least some dielectric grease. CLEAN the frame first, down to the paint; dirt doesn't transfer heat well.

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I don’t have any dielectric grease or any thermal compounds. Best I can do is just regular grease used in lubricating moving parts. I’m not using that unless you’d suggest it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So, I don’t have any dielectric grease or any thermal compounds. Best I can do is just regular grease used in lubricating moving parts
No. Regular grease will INCREASE the thermal resistance, making it harder to keep the resistors cool.

Go pick up a small tube of dielectric grease ("bulb grease" or "tuneup grease") from the auto parts store.

Or just clean it and hope it does good enough through the air gap.

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much. It works great, and I was able to get some dielectric grease as well. Placement wasn’t ideal, but it was the best I could do on the driver side of the engine bay, and I’m not too concerned about any wires being close enough to be damaged. Passenger side should have much better placement though. New video by NinjaGoatX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts