Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 dakota with 4-wheel disc brakes. My question is do I need to adjust my brakes and if so how. Especially the backs.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
disc brakes are self adjusting - as the pad wears down, the caliper piston accomodates by staying farther out.......

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Your primary brakes will be maintinence free as far as adjustments are concerned.

The parking brake is still a drum type, however. So long as the parking brake holds and the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor, don't worry about it. If it does need adjusted, there is a turnbuckle on the parking brake cable that you can adjust. It's located pretty much right under the drivers seat, outside the frame rail.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted my parking brake, thanks for the info.

I just replaced my front and rear rotors, and pads.....Holy crap what a difference. I really wasn't impressed when I bought my truck considering they were 4-wheel disc and had read about the brakes being crap. My truck shook really bad and didn't stop very well. After reading about people wanting to upgrade to the brakes I have on my 03 I gave them a once over.

Everything was original and was rusted in place. The rotors were extremely glazed over and had varying colors. They were also warped. The pads fell apart while taking the calipers off, and I had to heat up the rotors to get them off.

I cleaned up and greased the calipers and installed the new rotors and pads. My truck is completely different. stops great, no shaking, no pulling, and they bite right away. Thanks for all the info on this site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts