Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to adjust the bands on the R/T autos? Is it just a matter of torquing a clamp? I want to flush the tranny myself and install a shift kit, but without adjusting the bands I'd probably have to take it to a dealership anyways. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've read it in a manual and I'd still take it in. Buy yourself a manual to be on the safe side. It's too easy to mess up. JMO

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it even consist of though? I don't understand what the process entails. I've torn down a manual transmission before, but the bands are new to me. The more and more complicated something gets the less I want to take it to a dealership.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'll put it in when I get home (straight from the book) Maybe you can understand it better than I could. :huh:

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts
this is how to adjust the front band(kickdown) and rear band this the procedrure directly out of my Dodge service manual:FRONT BAND
The front (kickdown)band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the tranny case abovr the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1)raise vehicle,2)loosen band adjusting screw locknut then back off 3-5 turns.Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case.Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.,3)Tighten band adjusting screw to 72 in.lbs. torque with inch pound torque wrench a 3-in. exstension and an appropriate torx socket.,4)back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns,5)Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 30 ft. lbs. torque,6)lower vehicle.
REAR BAND:you will need a square head socket for this(SEARS has them)
the tranny pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.
1)raise vehicle,2)remove tranny pan,3)loosen adjusting band screw locknut 5-6 turns be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever,4)tighten adjusting screw to 72 in. lbs. torque,5)back off adjusting screw 2 turns,6)hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 25 ft. lbs. torque,7)position new gasket on tranny pan(or reusable gasket if you have one) install pan to tranny and tighten bolts to 13 ft. lbs. torque,8)lower vehicle and fill tranny with ATF+4
see attachments for pictures of adjustments hope this helps

DEPUTY

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not need a square head socket! A standard 12 point will work fine.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks guys, I'll let you know if I get it done. Hopefully in the next few weeks. Maybe I'll even do a pictue by picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts