Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had someone ask me about how to wire up the switches i have in my truck. So i decided to write the instruction up. This procedure is so you dont have to use your cigarret plugs anymore. Adam maybe we could sticky this?

This is an instruction for adding accessories to the vehicle without taping into your fuse panel. It will take a little time but it will be worth it when you want to add more accessories.

Materials
Approximately 30ft 10-gauge wire
Approximately 30ft 16-gauge wire
In line Fuse Holder
30-amp fuse
30 amp rely
2 Dual-Row Barrier Strips-4 Position (the bigger the more add ons.)
Various ring and terminal connectors
Fuse tap
Zip ties
Velcro
Test light

Steps
1. Choose an easily accessible place to secure the Barrier strip but where it can be seen. I choose to place it in the center console because all I need to do is take out 4 screws and it’s right there.
2. Mount the two terminal blocks to the desired location. If you choose the center counsel I recommend a small piece of wood. Keep in mind that you should leave room between then so you have room for wires.
3. On one side of the terminal block run a wire to connect each terminal. Keep the excess wire to a minimum.
4. Repeat for second terminal block.
5. Write underneath one terminal block positive and the other negative
6. For the negative terminal block run a wire from the negative terminal block to the metal cassis.
7. Take the 10-gauge wire and attach it as close to the battery as possible and temporarily secure it leaving enough room to attach it later. DO NOT ATTACH TO THE BATTERY AT THIS TIME!
8. Run the wire through you engine bay securing the wire as you go along with the zip ties, I try and hide the wire along and under the factory wiring to keep it hidden.
9. Run the wire through the firewall. If you have to drill a hole use a rubber grommet to prevent the wire from striping when you pull the wire through and then shorting the car out later.
10. Silicone the opening to prevent water from following the wire into the cab.
11. Run the wire the easiest way possible will still keeping the wire hidden, to the location of the terminal block. Securing the wire as necessary as you go
12. Mark this wire 12v constant
13. Find a fuse in your fuse panel that is an ignition (shuts off when the car shuts off)
14. Use a test light
15. Take the fuse tape and place it in with that fuse
16. Run the 16 gauge wire from the fuse panel to the terminal block location, run the wire the easiest way possible will keeping the wire hidden, to the location of the terminal block. Securing the wire as necessary as you go
17. Mark this wire 12v ignition
18. Attach a 2ft wire to the negative terminal block
19. Mark the wire negative
20. Attach a 2ft wire to the positive terminal block and mark the 12 volt output
21. Take your 30 amp relay and turn it over you should see these numbers, 87, 86, 85, 30
22. 87= 12v constant fused, 86= ground, 85= 12v ignition, 30= 12v output
23. Take the inline fuse holder and connect it to the 87 prong with a female connector.
24. Insert 30 amp fuse into holder
25. Trim the 4 wires you labeled to a manageable length so that you don’t have too much extra
26. Connect the wire you labeled 12v constant to the opposite end of the inline fuse holder
27. Connect the wire you labeled ground to the 86 prong with a female connector
28. Connect the wire you labeled 12v ignition to the 85 prong with a female connector
29. Connect the wire you labeled 12v output to the 30 prong with a female connector
30. Secure the rely to the board with the terminals on it with a piece of Velcro
31. Double check all connections and make sure they are secure and properly connected. DO NOT ATTACH BATTERY WIRE!
32. Connect the 10-gauge wire to the battery and secure the wire.
33. Attach the desired accessory to the terminal, positive to positive and negative to negative
34. Turn car on and accessory should turn on
35. Add a switch if desired to positive lead between the accessory and terminal block
36. DON’T FORGET TO USE THE MANUFACTURE’S RECOMMENDED FUSE AMP

Now any time you want to add a new accessory just attach it to the terminal block.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Nice Write up Dodd, :clap2: we need to sticky the shit outa this one :biggthump

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
drsnoze said:
What good is knowledge if you don’t share it?
True.....

Lets see if I have any of that so called knowledge to share with yas............. heh.....nope.

Actually heres some advice, if you know your gonna be drinkin, have someone hide your phone from you.....prevents the deadly "drunk call".

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahhaha, that happened the other night to a buddy of mine. he called this girl 50 times and confessed his unconditional love for her. One of the funiest things i have seen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts