Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a low pressure shutoff switch on the Dakota AC system that keeps the compressor clutch from engaging if the Freon drop below a certain point? My compressor quite working yesterday, and when I checked the power leads going to the clutch, there is no signal being sent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes there is a shut off for it. when the freon drops ;ow enough it prevents the ac compressor from kickin on so it doesnt burn out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that is good to know. I was afraid the compressor croaked at first. Then I checked the power leads going to the clutch, and there was no power getting to the clutch, which made me wonder about the switch. Thanks for the help. Now I need to find the tiny little leak, and get that thing fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anytime Also Check Your Fuses........

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. The fuses and relay are the first things I checked. They are all in fine shape. Once I found the low pressure switch, I jumped it just to check the compressor, and it runs no problem.

I am getting a UV light this weekend to check for leaks, since the last time it was serviced they added the UV dye. Hopefully the leak will be small and easy to fix, and I can have the AC working by the end of the weekend. Thankfully it has not been to hot the last few days...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My a/c isn't blowing cold air anymore. Just warm air... could it be b/c I'm out of freon or something? How do i add freon to the truck?(97/dak)

Thanks,
Hugh

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Not 100% sure, but there should be an access port, sort of like a schrader valve with a plastic screw cap on it on one of the AC lines. I do not have a GenIII, but I did top off my wifes car last year. Bought one of those recharge kits and a pressure tester. Screw in the tester with the engine on to read the pressure. Too low, add freon. Worked fine for us, but her car was cooling, just not very well. If it is totally out of freon you may have to do something more expensive. Not sure on that though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, you can add it, you just have to learn how to trick the system. Our system are so small, that even a little low will shut it down. Go to Autozone and get a service kit (hose with a gauge and appropriate connections) and get a can or two of 134a. Basically, follow the directions. I am in the middle of doing it right now, LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts