Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening to you all,

Whie driving to dinner with my buds for some reason my ABS and Brake warning light came on the dash panel. For me this was most alarming cuz I was stuck in traffic so while traveling slowly I noticed nothing out of the ordinary which made me more puzzled. The warning lights continued-stayed on until I stopped at the gas station to fill up and for some reason even more while exiting the drive way the lights mysteriously dissapeared. I think this was due to the fact that I exited the gas station drive way at an angle.

Could this be just a fluke??? This has never happened to me before but I know electronics can give false signals. What do you guys/gals think??? I just had a service done from my mechanic 3 weeks ago so I don't believe it's fluid related.

I have a 01' Dodge Durango V-8 if this info helps.:bow:

·
Real men play in the dirt
375 Posts
Check the rear wheel cylinders, I know they can cause lights to go off.... Also, check for leaks in the lines anywhere.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

Just got back from the garage and checked out the brake fluid master cylinder and noted it was all the up to the full line which is what I suspected it should have been cuz I just had my mechanic do my OCI and check and fill everything. In addition all the lines connected to it were nice and dry and showed no leakage at all. Also did a quick check at the rear wheels and saw no wet spots and the garage floor was dry. Unless it's now an internal issue at the rear wheels I can't see anything unusual.

To summarize the situation could me panel have given me a false reading???? After all the two lights (ABS, Brake) did go off close to my home after filling up my tank at the gas station. I'll continue to monitor this when it's my turn to drive again in my car pool.

Thanks guys,

rimfire,22

·
Registered
778 Posts
Honestly, wouldn't worry about, just a fluke.

When my sub gets pounding really hard the amount of juice it's drawing causes my ABS/Brake light to come on, and goes away after a few minutes.

·
9,487 Posts
ABS + Brake lights = bad speed sensor data being received by the computer.. Could be the sensor itself (on top of the rear differential) or a wiring problem - broken wire, and rotted connector, and etc.

It seems to be intermittent in your case - turning the ignition off resets the error until it happens again, and which is why it didn't come back after you stopped for gas.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ABS + Brake lights = bad speed sensor data being received by the computer.. Could be the sensor itself (on top of the rear differential) or a wiring problem - broken wire, and rotted connector, and etc.

It seems to be intermittent in your case - turning the ignition off resets the error until it happens again, and which is why it didn't come back after you stopped for gas.
TazRango,

I'll have to wait for this coming weekend and see if both lights (ABS,Brake) comes on again. FYI when I got to the restaurante I did shut off the engine and restarted the motor to see if the issue goes away or returns and it turned out that the lights stayed on. After buying gas and exiting the drive way I must have made something bounce cuz I ignored the lights and glanced down on the panel and noticed the lights went away!:huh:

In either case since I car pool now it's not my turn to drive to work for the week so I'll fire-up the old gal this coming weekend and take it for a spin to see if the lights return. I hope it's noting more than a fluke myself.:bow:

Take care all andI'll report back Saturdy evening.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

The weekend is coming and was now wondering if the ABS light comes back on again can you guys tell me how much in cost this issue could be???? Again this is the first time ever this has happened.

rimfire,22

·
9,487 Posts
'Bout $30 + 10 minutes? Standard Motor Products #ALS2.

Same thing without the rock shield is a couple bucks cheaper - #ALS203

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taz Rango,

Thanks for the pic and the price for the sensor. I greatly appreciated it. Currently I drove it for a while today and noticed both lights ABS and the brake light didn't come on. I also tried to pull some codes and the panel showed nothing! For now I'll just keep monitorig the situation and see what happens.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
120 Posts
replace the sensor first to see if your ABS light stays off. if it doesnt the you might have a ABS module like I did. and a new one runs 500 to 800 bucks depending on where you buy it at. but if you have about a week you can send it to modulemaster.com and they will rebuild yours for less then 200 bucks thats with shipping both ways. atleast that what it cost me a year ago when I sent mine in.

and by the way I had the same thing happen to my Durango the ABS light would come on and go off and stay off for a long time then come back on. it did that for about 2 years then it would come on as soon as I started up and stay on and thats when I changed the sensor on the rear pumpkin and it didnt fix my problem and my mechanic told me i need a new ABS module and it would cost 750 buck for him to install and thats when I found modulemaster.com

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
replace the sensor first to see if your ABS light stays off. if it doesnt the you might have a ABS module like I did. and a new one runs 500 to 800 bucks depending on where you buy it at. but if you have about a week you can send it to modulemaster.com and they will rebuild yours for less then 200 bucks thats with shipping both ways. atleast that what it cost me a year ago when I sent mine in.

and by the way I had the same thing happen to my Durango the ABS light would come on and go off and stay off for a long time then come back on. it did that for about 2 years then it would come on as soon as I started up and stay on and thats when I changed the sensor on the rear pumpkin and it didnt fix my problem and my mechanic told me i need a new ABS module and it would cost 750 buck for him to install and thats when I found modulemaster.com

one bad Durango,

By the price you quoted it sounds like you went to the dealership! Either case my issue will have wait as it comes on and off so far. For me to notice more of a pattern will need more driving on the weekends as because of the high gas prices in the L.A. area I now car pool to work and home. For me to tackle this issue I'll need to begin to save more money so perhaps in about another 3K I can get this taken care of. I will note on my list of things to do.
Thank you all for your help If anything odd arrives again I'll come calling:D

rimfire,22

·
9,487 Posts
99 times out of 100 it'll be the sensor or its related wiring. The module failing is rare.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
99 times out of 100 it'll be the sensor or its related wiring. The module failing is rare.
TazRango,

Thanks again....I'll keep an eye on it and if necessary replace if needed although I'd hate to spend that kind of money instead of using it for a full service or a brake job front anf rear.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
120 Posts
one bad Durango,

By the price you quoted it sounds like you went to the dealership! Either case my issue will have wait as it comes on and off so far. For me to notice more of a pattern will need more driving on the weekends as because of the high gas prices in the L.A. area I now car pool to work and home. For me to tackle this issue I'll need to begin to save more money so perhaps in about another 3K I can get this taken care of. I will note on my list of things to do.
Thank you all for your help If anything odd arrives again I'll come calling:D

rimfire,22
no i dont go to the dealership and I will never go unless I have no choice

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Taz Rango,

Thanks for the pic and the price for the sensor. I greatly appreciated it. Currently I drove it for a while today and noticed both lights ABS and the brake light didn't come on. I also tried to pull some codes and the panel showed nothing! For now I'll just keep monitorig the situation and see what happens.

rimfire,22
Brake codes cannot be read by an OBDII reader (or displayed on the dash). You need a brake code reader.

Replace the sensor as everone says.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts