Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded my 05 Dakota SLT for a 99 Dakota R/T. Been a long time since I have been on here.

I have been having a issue with the ABS / Brake light coming on in the dash. When the truck is first started, the lights are not on. If I stop the truck anytime and restart, the ABS / Brake lights come on. Not sure why. It doesn't matter if it is one mile or twenty, the common factor seems to be the ignition being off. If I leave the truck overnight, the lights go off again.

• I have checked all of the relevant fuses.
  • I have replaced the speed sensor.
  • I have checked the fluid level of the master cylinder.

Any other ideas as to why this is happening or what to check? Any help would be appreciated.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
663 Posts
I'm thinking wheel speed sensors. Get the truck scanned for codes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Two things you can check. The early Dakotas had a jumper harness from the frame to the rear sensor.
I don't remember what year they stopped using the jumper wire, but we changed a lot of these. Look for
a connector on the frame by the shock. These went bad more then the sensors themselves. The other
thing to look for is the rear sensor is covered in filings when removed. This can cause false reading to the
ABS module. It's also an indication the something needs replacing in the rear end.

Good Luck, Daddyododge1

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently traded my 05 Dakota SLT for a 99 Dakota R/T. Been a long time since I have been on here.

I have been having a issue with the ABS / Brake light coming on in the dash. When the truck is first started, the lights are not on. If I stop the truck anytime and restart, the ABS / Brake lights come on. Not sure why. It doesn't matter if it is one mile or twenty, the common factor seems to be the ignition being off. If I leave the truck overnight, the lights go off again.

Any other ideas as to why this is happening or what to check? Any help would be appreciated.
ABS on these trucks is a bit of a bag of worms. You mentioned you replaced the speed sensor. Did you replace the rear centre ABS sensor as well?

Ian

·
Registered
42 Posts

On my 1998 Durango 4 wheel Kelsey Hayes ABS, I changed every conceivable part; front and rear wheel sensors, brake switch, proportion valve switch, and & checked every wire, and I still had the problem. The final solution I sent the ABS module for repair, the soldering comes loose with the vibrations and the years, the false contacts make for an erratic operation. Unfortunately, no code tells you that is the problem.

In my Durango, the behavior was that the ABS light would stay off sometimes, even for a whole day; other times, it would go on and stay on from the first start; I could erase the codes, and the light will be off for most of the day, or it will turn back on immediately. A very erratic operation, where the light either will stay off or on under any circumstances.

While the light was off, the ABS dint work; if on the ABS would work without any problems

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the wiring and connections from the speed sensor as far forward as I could. Didn't see and kinks or cuts that would cause a short.

I did change the differential fluid. The fluid was dark as over brewed tea. Initially, the lights were off again but after about ten miles they came back on again. I had neglected to add the friction additive fluid to the differential when I changed the fluid. So I ended up ordering and then adding it. My OBD code reader does not have the ABS code reading module and I decided to go to Advanced Auto to use theirs. I was told that they do not offer that service anymore (News to me). I tried NAPA and they also do not offer that service. I decided go to Harbor Freight and get the upgraded reader but had to get gas first. After filling up and starting the truck, both lights went out. I ran a few more errands with stopping and starting and the lights were still out. Crazy!

I'm not sure if the differential fluid in the rear had the friction additive in it or not. So far adding it seems to have done the trick for turning off the ABS and Brake lights in my truck.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,284 Posts
The friction modifier is a coincidence.

Reactions: immattj

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured the new sensor along with the new fluid and/or the modifier solved the problem. I know the speed sensor reads something in the gears of the differential. The old sensor was still covered with with the old fluid when I changed it out. Short of reinstalling it, I have now way of knowing if it would have worked with the new fluid and modifier.

Just throwing out what happened and the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts