Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to replace the transfer case in my 04 4.7L Durango. Any suggestions as i go into this? Any lessons learned from someone who have removed theres before?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Never removed it before, but my first suggestion would be to get the Factory Service Manuals for your model and year truck if you haven't already. A good set of air tools would also help. Good luck...

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
no need for airtools. just be careful pulling it down. its heavy when ur on ur back and once you wiggle it out a little its either gunna drop or ur gunna catch it or ur gunna have to have a jack strapped to it to lower it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I basicaly pulled mine without too much difficulty (12yr old truck) to replace the rear trans shaft seal. I don't imagine it would be too bad for you. a repair manual for your vehicle should tell you what you need to do.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
the 231 that came out of my Dad's 78 Blazer almost broke my wrist. We didn't realize how heavy it was, figured we could handle the weight of it. Pulled the last bolts, I thought I had it supported, focker dropped, no way I could support it, bent my left wrist back, heard a couple of pops and I was screaming like bitch. Rushed me to the Dr. then to the ER for x-rays. No breaks, but I had some serious damage that required a soft cast and splints for over a month. Had it rebuilt, then towed the Blazer to a shop to have it installed, they put it on a lift, charged him $150.00 to install it and he was done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts