Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 4.7L engine with about 120,000 kms (75,000 miles). Just bought a K&N cold air intake kit. I have gone on one long distance highway trip with it and got about 18mpg with mostly driving in the mountains, which I am happy with. I am averaging about 10 mpg in city driving, which I'm not happy with. This can't be normal, if the 4.7 gets 10mpg what does the 5.2 or 5.9 get?! I've been trying to get some help from the local Dodge dealerships, but they are reluctant to help. I realize I didn't buy a 4 cylinder but I expected more than 10mpg. When I bought it I got a local shop to check the codes and they said that nothing came up and also got an alignment. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,018 Posts
I get 9 MPG with my truck :rant:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Get a bigger TB,... your stock Throttle Body is a 65mm.... which is a TRUE 63mm. If you can find a TRUE 68mm TB, that would definately help you.

I would also suggest getting a superchips tuner. Throwing it on the 87 octane setting and leave it be.

I get 17-18mpg in the city with 3.55 gears, and stock tire size... I baby it yeah,... but still, not many people can say they get those kinda numbers in the city with a V8.

Also, your durango weighs more,... it also has an automatic(Mine is standard). Get the performance upgrades... the easier the engine breaths, the better mpg you're going to get.

Paul

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ben00Durango said:
I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 4.7L engine with about 120,000 kms (75,000 miles). Just bought a K&N cold air intake kit. I have gone on one long distance highway trip with it and got about 18mpg with mostly driving in the mountains, which I am happy with. I am averaging about 10 mpg in city driving, which I'm not happy with. This can't be normal, if the 4.7 gets 10mpg what does the 5.2 or 5.9 get?! I've been trying to get some help from the local Dodge dealerships, but they are reluctant to help. I realize I didn't buy a 4 cylinder but I expected more than 10mpg. When I bought it I got a local shop to check the codes and they said that nothing came up and also got an alignment. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ben,

In/from my Durango with the 4.7 engine I've been able to achieve a nice 21.2 average ( long trips ) based on 3 people with their luggage going about 65-70 miles per hour on a totally stock engine. My only mods has been proper tire pressure AND synthetic oil. I don't have as many miles as you do BUT it's not too far behind. Your long trip while getting only 18.0 miles per gallon spells a big concern on my side. I get those figures as a combined city/highway. Have you evaluate your driving habits yourself? When was the last time you had the engine tuned. Start with the basics.

rimfire,22

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rimfire,22

Thanks for the reply. I would describe my driving habits as mild, I don't have a lead foot and I don't stomp on the brakes.

I have not had a engine tune up since I bought it, mabye I should look into doing that soon.

I would love to get 18mpg average, and don't see why you can and I can't, it's very frustrating, especially with gas prices these days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Replace the plugs and check your air filter. When an air filter gets dirty, it clogs up.

An Alignment might not be a bad idea. More drag if it is out of wack.

·
Registered
421 Posts
start with the basics

Ben00Durango said:
rimfire,22

Thanks for the reply. I would describe my driving habits as mild, I don't have a lead foot and I don't stomp on the brakes.

I have not had a engine tune up since I bought it, mabye I should look into doing that soon.

I would love to get 18mpg average, and don't see why you can and I can't, it's very frustrating, especially with gas prices these days.
Ben00Dorango,

Since you not a lead footed person like I am then I'd start with the basics. First I'd get the engine steam cleaned as sometimes the engine might work better cleaned. Consult your mileage indicator and manual to se if your scheduled for such a service. It's possible you don't need one yet. I do suggest you recheck over your air cleaner modifications. That could be your main culprit. Again icheck and if necessary reinflat your tires to the proper pounds and lastly..... change your oil over to a good synthetic. I use Mobil 1 as my main man. The only other possibility could be the brand of gas your using. I now suggest that you make a comparison of different gases

rimfire,22

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.