Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been difficult to turn the handle and get it open. Not anymore. I guess the rod linkage broke loose or something. The handle will unlock but the handle doesn't open the tonneau anymore. What do I do now - send the whole bed to A.R.E. for service? :cussing:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
ever think of spraying the lock and piece where the handle meets the cover with wd40? had a similar problem with my old fibernetics cover for my ram with the locks... they became hard to turn. llittle spritz of d-40, and it helped big time...

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Yea, My ARE on my First Dakota did that exact same thing... It took alot of colorful language to get it open. It seemed that the left rod broke (wasnt unlocking) So I got the right side just enough to get my hands underneath it, I managed to wiggle (Yea RIGHT) that bastard open... Turn out the actualy locking part of the latch broke.

Guess you need to keep them adjusted regularly (learned that with the NEW latch!) Good Luck man! It was P I T A /2

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I'll try that tomorrow. Wonderful piece of security that thing is; I can't get the tailgate open because the tonneau wraps over the top of the gate - and the Gibson exhaust I want to sell is trapped inside! :(

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
had a problem with the lock mechanism freezing up during the winter on my leer topper. forced entry can be achieved, that's why i put in the powergate to make it a little harder for a thief to rip me off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got it open. I pulled up on the side that seemed looser, ended up beding a locking rod slightly but I got it open.

The shaft coming out of the lock handle had sheared completely off, so the handle didn't turn the locking rods. I had expected something like a pin to have come loose or something, not a total parts failure like that!

I went to the local ARE dealer and bought a replacement shaft for $10.70.

I started putting it together and promptly lost one of the three necessary screws in the grass behind my truck. :cussing:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
some guys have a problem with thier cover handles/locks freezing in the cold weather. mostly the reason is cause they use wd-40 to lubricate it. wd-40 will freeze like water. so i suggest ya use some slick 50 grease to lube that bad boy up.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I forgot about that. I don't even know why they allow WD40 to be sold in the Tampa Bay area as often as it freezes over here. :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Chuck said:
Yeah, I forgot about that. I don't even know why they allow WD40 to be sold in the Tampa Bay area as often as it freezes over here. :D

lol. funny buddy. sorry but this post was meant for us "more northern" folks. that actually get freezing weather.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard of that in books. Whats that like? :D

j/k I have a tin of axle grease laying around, and the tech at Topper Town said that would be perfect for lubing the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah, lots of things tend to freeze where i'm from including my enitre tailgate over this past winters, but when you average -40*c that will do it, many sealed doors...lol...and iced over locks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts