Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a beautiful 2000 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 with the 5.9L

So far so good (it's only been three days).

The pickup has 66,000 miles on it and I'm wondering what my next step should be, as it relates to maintenance/service etc. I'm certainly a rookie when it comes to trucks. I'm thinking about taking it to my local dodge dealer/shop and asking them to give it a "once over" just to see if it lacks anything as far as recalls and the like. If anyone has any other ideas or resources that I should be looking for I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Thad

· Registered
1,177 Posts
welcome to the boards.
I suggest change'n all the fluids. Now would be a good time to go synthetic.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
rockadaous said:
welcome to the boards.
I suggest change'n all the fluids. Now would be a good time to go synthetic.
Good idea, but i would not go the synthetic route, stick with regular oil it is better. I would do a full tune up, Cap, rotor, pugs and wires, have the brakes checked. and you should be fine.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for all the quick replies. I've scheduled a "21 point check" at my local dodge dealer for tomorrow at no cost. The guy on the phone said they look at everything. Seems to good to believe. I'll probably do all things reccomended above after that.

One other thing....

When the engine hasn't been run for a while (over an hour) it takes about 2 or 3 seconds longer to start. This concerns me. A buddy has reccomended checking the fuel filter. Any wisdom or other reccomendations?

· Disturbing the peace
35 Posts
Congrats on the new truck!

Just a warning with the dealership inspections. I had one performed on my truck, and the tech somehow missed my power steering spewing fluid everywhere while he changed the oil and inspected the front suspension. Most other dealerships are pretty good, but that one experience has caused me to feel some mistrust towards the dealership inspections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.