Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im rebuilding a 5.2 and rite now just want a lil extra power. the block has real low milage so it cleaned up and I just went back with the stock pistons and put some good rings on um. had the crank turned 10/10. now for the questions. been a while sense I built any motor so not sure about some things. like to put a decent cam with a good lope but not sure which to go with. plannin on some 202 heads with some port and polish work done, springs, pushrods, roller rockers, better distributor prob msd. and heres wer I need help, can I use the stock barrel with some work done on it? dnt want a carbd engine but dont have the doe for a new intake. Ill do some work on the barrel tho and a better tb. also would I need a upgrade on the computer or would a stock one do? its not gonna be radical or anything, just the cam upgrade and heads mainly. i have a 3.9 in it but its gettin a little tired so I got this 95 5.2 with 80k on it. like every1 else id like to get a stroker but lost my job and dont have the cash to go all out. theres just somthin about a lopey engine tho. gettin old and would like to have one that at least sounds bad again before I croak. iv built quit a few chevy and fords but this is my first mopar and mpfi. so if any1 would give me some advise and part #s id appreciate it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gen 1 computer
SOL till you solve your computer inadequacies
lopey implies tight lobe centers
will not work- you have to keep the lca wide
you do not need a better distributor, just good cap and rotor
unless you are towing you can mod your kegger- do a search
stick or auto, gear ratio
do you plan on changing your converter with a big cam or get a cam that works with the factory converter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sure ill go with a bigger stall converter gependig on the cam but Im not looking to go too large on the cam just enuf to get a decent lope. dont wanta end up with no vacuum and have to put a pump on it. not gonna b towing. truthfully cant remember what the gears r, thnk its a 7.25. its gonna b mostly for sound. dwn the line im gona build or buy something with a large displacememnt when I retire this truck but its my daily rite now. which is y im keeping the fe. sory, been outa the loop for yrs. built some bad ass chevy and ford engines in my day but this is the first mopar and fe engine. this computer stuff is beyond me lol. never 2 late to learn tho huh

·
Registered
696 Posts
duey
you can't go rump rump rump with a gen one OBD1 computer
neither a big cam or close lobe centers will work
(without lots of dollars)
cams are also lots of dollars for not much gain if you keep the current computer
sorry
put some 1.7 rockers on and be happy
do you have smog in LA?
you can do full length headers and a turbo muffler if you want some sound
you can do a used 360 for about the same $$ as a cam and get more torque
360 throttle bodies are the same as yours so no change necessary there
others may chime in with a cam that will work with our computers but when I looked into it it was not worth the $$$

·
Registered
696 Posts
about the same as one size larger cam as far as torque goes, increases effective duration just a couple of degrees
like taking deep breaths

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
No point in going with big valve heads if you are going to keep the beer barrel intake. As for the cam, as with the heads, if you are keeping the stock intake and not doing any computer tuning(it is available, just not cheap for the older PCMs) no need to go too big on the cam. the Mopar R/T 10 is about as big as you will want to go.

As mentioned, there is no "upgraded" distributor, unless you go to a carbed set up the stock will will do everything you need it to for any build you plan on.

Did you get the wiring harness and PCM to go along with the 5.2 motor?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the harness but no pcm, the distributor was damaged in shipping but i can get a stock 1 no problem. i had a reprogramed pcm but sold it so ill have to find 1. where u find the rt 10 cam havent seen 1

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you graph the lift curve of an rt cam with stock rockers and the stock cam with 1.7 rockers they are about the same and a lost less work and $$$
To get a bigger cam with not much more overlap you have to spread the lobe centers
look for an inverse flank roller to keep your seat timing down while still giving more duration at @.200 - the higher lifts where you need it
All the budget cams are ground with big grinding wheels giving a flat flank which unnecessarily increases the seat duration
solve the pcm problem first
do a search and see how other Gen 1 OBD users have solved this problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts