Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A plea for help :help:

I own a 2000 quad cab slt with the 5.9L, 4x4. I am not a mechanic by any means, change my own oil, do my own brakes, and that's about it.

At just over 75,000miles I've noticed a strange phenomenon...

When I'm headed up any hill, when it seems the engine is working a little harder, I hear what sounds like a rattling noise from up under the hood. It goes away as soon as the hill is topped or the "load" is lifted. I notice no change in performance/speed/etc. no dummy lights or anything like that. I'd take any help I can get here, or you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
best thing to do bud is pop the hood and start jiggling shitt to see if anythings loose. could be something thats just slightly loose that only wiggles under pressure. then again this would happen over hard bumps. no noise on hard bumps?

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Run Premium through it for a couple of tank fulls, see if it goes away. Sounds like you got some PreDetonation problems (pinging)... If the Premium fixes the problem, try switching to 1 stage colder plugs... Dunno my 360s But i think they are 3923s.... Could be wrong.

Hope that might could help ya!

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Go to the store and pick up some seafoam to run through it so it cleans out all the carbon build up thats probably going on inside

S

·
0 Posts
If it doesnt go away after running premium through it, it is very likely you have a bad plenum gasket. This is a common problem with the 5.2s and 5.9s. Check out http://www.apsprecision.com they have a billet plenum that will not warp with heat like the stock ones do and they come with a new gasket and this should solve the ping problem. My 5.2 ram did this really bad but i never got around to fixing it.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
MeanThree18 said:
Run Premium through it for a couple of tank fulls, see if it goes away. Sounds like you got some PreDetonation problems (pinging)... If the Premium fixes the problem, try switching to 1 stage colder plugs... Dunno my 360s But i think they are 3923s.... Could be wrong.

for the autolites they are. i would do a few things. just run the colder plug in the back two cylinders. change your thermostat to a 180. should fix the pinging issue

back two cylinders run the hottest, and the slightest hot spot on a hard edge in the cylinder sparks it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
MeanThree18 said:

i forgot all about the pinging. :sorry:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
i forgot all about the pinging. :sorry:
no biggie man, sometimes its easy to overlook some things. thats why there is more than one person on here. get all the advice you can and then use your own judgement after that. figure out whats being said, analize it, go with what makes most sense ...right?

:biggthump

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news. With the first 1/4 of the first tank of premium the noise is gone completely.

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to anything mechanical. I changed spark plugs on a small 4 cylinder toyota years ago. I think I can tackle this project, surely I can find a guide or tip sheet on line.

Thanks again
:yourock:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, an update.

Changed the plugs to the champion "platinum" plugs for about $3 each. This has helped but I still have the pinging, just not as often.

So, my question is, should I be looking to replace the gasket as described above? That sounds like a bit of a big job for a rookie like myself.

If left un-fixed, will this problem do serious damage?

It's been suggested that this may be a timing issue. Any opinions on that idea?

Thanks again,

Thad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts