Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm new to the Durango. I have never owned a dodge before, I used to stick with ford and am used to the solid front axel. Now my question is do I need to upgrade my front axel shafts if I want to offroad? My buddy is a jeep guy and says the Durango has a weak front end and if get heavy on the throttle I'm going to break something. I'm only running 33s with no lift or mods. He says I can't go above that tire size without a solid axel swap or I'm going to break something.

Im smart and I know what I can go through and what I can't. I won't try to make something if I know for sure I can't just to look cool. But I do want to show them jeep guys what a stock Durango can do. So any help would be great.

·
7,610 Posts
33s? didnt think u could fit those w/o rubbin, anyways your buddy is some right, the front axles are weak -axle case- when you get a lil extreme but far as playin in a lil mud then have fun, also the upper balljoints or bad about goin out

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yepp, heavy off roading fun can easily make your front end a nightmare. Mainly the diff, not often are any other components faulty under the mess.

If your smart and know the D's limits you can get by most terrain, that meaning if you take it slow and easy. If you dig into the pedal while spinning and catch traction while the weight is shifted in the right way listen to the carnage :mullet: It's either 33" taking it easy or SAS, no other options.
On the trails stock for stock ive faired well over gjc's, but in the end they have more parts support than we do. 20x easier making a rig trailworthy and if they lock the front end they've won already. D keeping up with a wrangler, maybe in a wide open airport runway type of trail.

If you wheel alot, drop a axle underneath. If you dont, t/s, maybe even body it and take it easy.
Me, i like crawling curbs, speedbumps, and foreign objects like shopping carts and wheel chairs. Mall Crawler FTW :bow:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a couple of pics of it. Not the greatest Durango but it's a start.

it's kind of hard to see but it says 33

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Nope. I have no rubbing I can go lock to lock without any issues.
wow, id have to say thats the first ive ever seen anyone able to do that on a stock rig. looks pretty good tho. and if you do some research, i believe some rango owners on here have been able to make a dakota suspension lifts work on a durango with some modification.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
It's not just the rango, it pretty much goes for all IFS.

As for the tires, alot of tires vary big time! I have the same size and mine look more buldge then those. Also, Mine measure at about 31 with half wear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow, id have to say thats the first ive ever seen anyone able to do that on a stock rig. looks pretty good tho.
thanks. I've always loved the way these trucks looked.

Is there any aftermarket lockers around that I could buy for the front and rear axels?

·
3,230 Posts
Is there any aftermarket lockers around that I could buy for the front and rear axels?
ive heard some bad things about front lockers in IFS vehicles, due to CV shafts/strength/angles and so on and so forth. as for the rear, just search the site. they're def out there. see if your rango has the limited slip diff or not, that will make a difference in your search. i believe the carriers are different between LSD and open rear end trucks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive heard some bad things about front lockers in IFS vehicles, due to CV shafts/strength/angles and so on and so forth. as for the rear, just search the site. they're def out there. see if your rango has the limited slip diff or not, that will make a difference in your search. i believe the carriers are different between LSD and open rear end trucks.
how can I tell if it's limited slip or not?

·
3,230 Posts
how can I tell if it's limited slip or not?
the sticker inside your glovebox shows what axle you have. or just go to the dealer, give them your vin, and they can print you out an Options Report that will list your specific vehicles RPO codes, and what each one means. That will tell you in there what you've got.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
There are no front locker options and you couldn't run one anyway as the front axle is live. It would bind up and probably blow the front axle driving on the street.

Several options for the rear end though.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I ran 35x12.50s on my 99 for prob 16-18mo on the stock axles and CVs and never had a problem even with a super heavy right foot. But I knew that what I wanted to do was pushing the limits to what it could realistically handle with a 8.25 rear and the D35 IFS front. So now I got a HP D44 and 9" rear both full of chromoly shafts, and if I can ever afford to finish it, it should be able to handle anything I throw at it around here. For just playin around in the mud every now and then the stock suspension and axles are just fine, but if you wanna do any more difficult trails I would definately swap a solid axle under it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts