Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I have a 2000 Durango that has been good to me. :help:

The only 2 problems I have now is this:

1- The air conditioning is always on in almost all settings. It's not on at the floor/winshield and the dash settings ?

2- Is it normal for the outside ambient air to be at least 15 to 18 degrees hotter when it blows into the vehicle vents with the a/c off ?

I always have a thermometer in my truck and the outside air blows in the truck warmer than what the outside temperature is.

Is #1 and #2 related or separate issues?

What can be done at least to fix #1 ?

Thank you to all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The PCM will turn on/off the AC compressor as it sees fit, not necessarily a problem. With the AC off the output temp will be warmer than normal just due to the heat in the heater core bleeding into the vents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The A/C compressor should only come on with:

1. All the way left-----> MAX A/C
2. Panel A/C

(the ones with the snowflake beside them)

3. Both defrost selections [demist and defrost [both far right selections)]

mine comes on with bi level, and I don't think it's supposed to.

It's a bad control panel (the part with the knobs on it) the little piece of metal that contacts the rotary selection switch is shifted and is telling PCM to kick on a/c for a non-A/C selection. Replace the control panel and it will be good.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 99 the A/C compressor will operate with the control in Defrost, Floor/Deforst, Floor/Dash, and Max Dash. It doesn't operate in Floor or Dash.

I thought this was strange, it's typical for the AC to operate when in the defrost positions and the AC positions of course but not the others.

It's how it's designed and the FSM confirms it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts