Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means an A/C expert, but I know someone here is. Last night while turning into the car-wash, my A/C just stopped blowing air. It was on the "MAX Air" setting and now, it doesn't blow at all.

The only exception is when I get the truck up to about 40mph and very cold air starts coming out of the vents. This tells me that the compressor is still functional and is running freon through the radiator, but no air is moving across it.

Can anyone help me diagnose what (specifically) is malfunctioning and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
does the fan work in any other setting? my fan went out and would only work in the highest setting which was very annoying. it turned out to be the blower motor resistor block and its very easy to replace. now if the fan is not working at all, check the fuse. it should be in the power distribution center (fuse #13?). since it stopped working suddenly, i would check there first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan does not work on any setting.

"blower motor resistor block." I have no idea what this is.

I checked the fuses, but will check #13 again today.

Anyone else?

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
opie34705 said:
The fan does not work on any setting.

"blower motor resistor block." I have no idea what this is.

I checked the fuses, but will check #13 again today.

Anyone else?
here's a description and it is what lead me to believe the resistor was the problem in my case.

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR BLOCK
During vehicle assembly, the blower motor resistor is mounted to the HVAC unit inside the passenger compartment. It can be accessed from the passenger foot well area.

The resistor has multiple resistor circuits each of which will change the resistance in the blower motor ground path to change the blower motor speed. The blower motor switch directs the ground path through the correct resistor circuit to obtain the selected blower motor speed.

With the blower motor switch in the lowest speed position, the ground path for the motor is applied through all of the resistor circuits. Each higher speed selected with the blower motor switch applies the blower motor ground path through fewer of the resistor circuits, increasing the blower motor speed.

The blower motor resistor cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced

but since you said the blower doesn't work at all, it may be the motor switch .

The heater-A/C blower motor is controlled by a four position rotary-type blower motor switch, mounted in the heater-A/C control panel. The switch allows the selection of one of four blower motor speeds, but can only be turned OFF by selecting the OFF position with the heater-A/C mode control switch knob.

The blower motor switch directs the blower motor ground path through the mode control switch to the blower motor resistor, or directly to ground, as required to achieve the selected blower motor speed.

The blower motor switch cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the entire heater-A/C control unit must be replaced. The blower motor switch knob is serviced separately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone.

It was the resistor. The good news: I fixed it. The bad news: It was the wrong part and after driving for 30 minutes, the A/C now only works on the highest setting.

The resistor I took out was black. The one I put in was green. I should have suspected something...

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
great job. where did you get the part from?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stealership. $12. (vs $150 motor)
Those guys at the desk are morons.

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
its under the passenger side dash. you'll have to be on your back to see it. here's a pic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.