Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to clean up under the hood a lil so if i was to take the a/c out couldnt i just go to the auto parts store and by a belt for a non a/c and it fit right? or do i have to get i diff. belt all together??:huh:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Sometimes they fit and sometimes they don't. I have a used one that will work if you want it, $10 shipped!

·
Registered
299 Posts
You will kill the resale value if you do...
We did it years ago to all our cars when we were like 17-20..
I could never buy a car without working a/c..
plus, your defogger wont be as good..

·
Registered
546 Posts
my a/c clutch froze and I just put a shorter belt on, leaving everything on for a future repair/replace project. I'll see if I can find the part number

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Already have: 905k7 or 895k7

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
how "right" do you want to do it? a proper way to make it look factory is to replace the Alt/AC bracket with one from a non-AC truck that only mounts the Alternator. otherwise, you'll have a giant but empty brackt on top of your engine, and somewhat killing the "clean up the engine bay" process that you're trying to do.

if you do it, DO NOT CUT ANYTHING!!!

that way it can all be put back together. there are special line removal tools available at any parts store that you need to unclip the A/C lines. remove the drier, lines, condenser and pump. then replace the bracket for an Alt only bracket, and be done. keep everything in a box and put it back on later when you want to sell it.

total cost should be about $35-40. $15-20 for the bracket from a junk yard (if you can't find one, buy a alt/AC bracket and cut it.) plus a kit for unhooking the lines.

you'll also be removing about 35-40 lbs off the nose of the truck, with all the A/C parts. especially the A/C pump. it weighs about 25 lbs by itself.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Screw that, I cut it all! :jester:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts