Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with the A/C condensation coming from under the dash. The firewall padding and the carpet padding is soaked. There is still to typical water that drips outside the track. I have the carpet pulled back to dry iy out but after my hour drive to work there is about a 1/4 cup of water. I figure that I am going to have to dismantle the entire dash to see what is going on. Has anyone else had this happen??

·
Registered
112 Posts
A/C Condensation

I've got an '01 CC also. The most common source of the problem that you have is water from the evaporator case drain blowing back along the drain tube and through the firewall. Try sealing around the drain tube with some silicone. I had the same problem and got a plastic elbow and some rubber tubing from HD and extended the drain below the frame. You may have to pull the right inner fender liner for access. I also had a leak from the top right corner of the windshield. The headliner was directing the water down the A pillar and the water ended up under the carpet on the passenger side. That was an easy fix with some windshield sealer.

Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dickc,

That sounds a whole lot better than taking the rest of the dash apart.

·
Registered
977 Posts
sounds like the drain tube that comes out of the firewall is the problem. Its a crappy design. It just sticks out of the firewall. The wind from driving blows the water back in the truck. Go to the dealership and get the small hose to fit over the drain tube. The part is only like 6 bucks or so. Thats what was wrong with my last dak, a 98 RC. That solved my problem. I never had a problem with the water coming down the a pilar at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey dude had the same thing happen to my 02 R/T, i took it to the dealership, its a recall is what they told me so i didnt pay for a thing, got the tube and brand new carpet and padding.

·
Registered
498 Posts
does anybody have a picture of the drain comming out of the fire wall??
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
that has got to be whats rong with my truck as well
i have a 99 cc r/t. would the dealership still warranty this if it was a recall???

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
There is a TSB out on this;

A/C - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Front Floor

NUMBER: 23-010-04 REV. A

GROUP: Body

DATE: September 9, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-010-04, DATED APRIL 29, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES ADDITIONAL MODELS AND REVISED LABOR OPERATIONS.
SUBJECT:
Passenger Compartment Floor Water Leak

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves sealing the opening for the evaporator hose/drain tube with RTV sealer.

MODELS:

2001-2004 (AN) Dakota

**2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica**

2001 - 2003 (DN) Durango

**2002 - 2005 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)**

2001 - 2004 (RS) Caravan, Voyager, Town & Country

NOTE : **This bulletin applies to KJ vehicles that are Right Hand Drive (RHD).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Water may enter the passenger compartment between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead. A foam seal is used to seal the heater housing to the bulkhead. Condensation from the A/C evaporator can run along the evaporator drain tube and enter the passenger compartment if the seal between the HVAC housing and the bulkhead is not sealed properly. This will result in wet passenger compartment carpet when the air conditioning is operating.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the symptom exists, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Locate the evaporator hose and drain tube opening in bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment. Apply a bead of RTV sealer, p/n 04467708 or equivalent, to the perimeter of the opening to seal the joint between the bulkhead and the HVAC gasket and the joint between the drain tube and the HVAC gasket.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have talked with a couple of dealers and none of them seem to want to fix this unless I pay for it. Is the diameter of the tube 5/8"? I wonder if some heater hose would connect to it and stop the water from comming inside. How do you get to the condenser outlet to seal it with silicone? It is too tight of a space for me to get my hand up in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only way I could access the drain was to remove the wheel well liner. The problem was that it was installed with plastic pop rivits. I drilled off the rivits and put the liner back with rivnuts and screws in case I had to pull it again. The rivits are available from the dealer but you would need a tool to pull them. That was the configuration for '01. Newer models may have changed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My '04 is the same. It has the plastic rivits. Do you need a standard rivit tool to install the factory ones? I reached the drain from under the truck, but it was a tight fit and Im not sure if I sealed it all propperly. I will find out this week when I use my AC again. If I pull my wheel well liner, I may just use the factory rivits as I have a rivit gun. After you sealed the drian tube, have you had any more problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I sealed the drain tube I also installed an elbow an hose to dump the water below the frame. I'm sure that just sealing the drain would have been sufficient to solve the problem. You might be able to pull the plastic retaining rivits with a standard rivit tool. The rivit stems are 5/32" The rivits are PN 34201631 and come in packages of 5. I paid $20.70 for 15 back in 2001. They shouldn't be much over $50 today!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have managed to seal the tube by jamming my hand up from under the truck and arround the exhaust manifold until I could feel the RTV all around the stupid tube. What a PITA!!! It doesnt seem to be leaking as I have ran the A/C every day since and havent felt water on the floor. In hindsight, I should have just pulled the fenderliners and went about it that way. :beer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts