Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv tryed searching the forum but cant find anything like my issue...

my truck starts fine and drives fine but after no certain time the truck will just start runnning like crap and turn off and wont start again intill you let it sit for an hour or so... then it will start right up and run fine?????? im lost.... could it be the fuel cut off relay switch? any ideas would be great....

where is the fuel cut off switch located on are trucks?

·
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!
2,496 Posts
iv tryed searching the forum but cant find anything like my issue...

my truck starts fine and drives fine but after no certain time the truck will just start runnning like crap and turn off and wont start again intill you let it sit for an hour or so... then it will start right up and run fine?????? im lost.... could it be the fuel cut off relay switch? any ideas would be great....

where is the fuel cut off switch located on are trucks?
clogged cat perhaps. or possibly a bad ignition coil come to mind, considering your symptoms

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys i replaced the ignition coil but no luck it started doing some new things... today when i was driving on the freeway and the truck just turned off the check engine came on.. i was just letting the truck coast for a little bit then out of no where the truck started by its self. i was like WTF!!!!! im losing my mind.

what would you guy replace next?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Does it have spark? Will it start if you put a fuel (brake clean or starting fluid works but recommend the brake clean, make sure it is the flammable type) in the throttle bore?

Toby

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
When was the last time you did a tune up with cap/rotor/plus/wires? Possibly crank or cam position sensor as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Classic sign of a fuel pump but a Crank sensor is a close second
When it dies get keep some CARB or Throttle body Cleaner not brake spray or Ether. Some brake cleaners will ruin cats and O2 sensors don't take a chance. Ether is good for flooded or cold cars not what you need it for

Spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it starts, if it does the crank sensor is good if not check fuel pump time
A quick fix is to get under the truck and give it a cpl wraps with your fist and see if the pump starts for a while.

I am leaning towards the fuel pump because you say the car starts running like crap first not just dies and wont restart

:drive:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Classic sign of a fuel pump but a Crank sensor is a close second
When it dies get keep some CARB or Throttle body Cleaner not brake spray or Ether. Some brake cleaners will ruin cats and O2 sensors don't take a chance. Ether is good for flooded or cold cars not what you need it for

Spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it starts, if it does the crank sensor is good if not check fuel pump time
A quick fix is to get under the truck and give it a cpl wraps with your fist and see if the pump starts for a while.

I am leaning towards the fuel pump because you say the car starts running like crap first not just dies and wont restart

:drive:

You've never had an eratic crank sensor? Will do the same thing. Im not saying it couldnt be the fuel pump though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the connections at the computer, my RT did the same thing. The MAP sensor wasnt giving the required voltage because of a loose connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts