Well I figure its been long enough and its about time to give you guys an update, so I'll start where I left of.
I couldnt get the truck to run right as it was popping through the exhaust and having a surging idle. I figured it could be the fuel sync or something simple, but without a scanner I had no way to check it. I was planning on bringing the truck down to PIE in DE to have him dyno tune it, so I put it on a dolly and brought it down there to him so he could diagnose the problem and then dyno tune it. Here are some pics of it at my house, then going down to PIE...not pretty I know.
I drop it off at PIE and a couple weeks later he calls me stating that there is no driveshaft in the truck. I took it down there with one, so it must of fell out on the way down there somehow. Both straps were on there, so I believe I got the wrong caps on the ujoints or the wrong ujoint and it just came apart. On the way down there a trucker came up next to us and honked, pointing behind us, I looked at the dakota and saw nothing wrong (just stopped to check everything a few miles before), so I was like WTF is this guy talking about? Long story short, it took about 2 months to even get a drive shaft put together due to getting wrong parts and trying to get my stock one lengthened.
Now that I had a driveshaft it was time to diagnose the issue here. Running like crap, popping, very rich, and the rpms shooting up and down. On the scanner the fuel sync was set correctly and all the sensors were working how they should. PIE put in a new crank and cam sensor and it was still having the same issue.....New harness, same issue....new pcm, same issue....adjusted rockers, same issue, etc. Thankfully a lot of the parts I had or PIE had laying around, so I wasnt throwing money on parts at it, just time. PIE was fairly certain it was something mechanical that was causing the sensors to give a false reading. He even went as far as rechecking the cam to make sure it was degreed right, which it was. However, my father, being a mechanic for 40yrs, was fairly certain it was an electrical/sensor problem. Now I did mess with the harness (wire tuck), but a new harness didnt change anything. So the only only thing that drastically changed from my last set up was the t56 transmission. I bought the 6 speed set up from Jason Thompson down in NC, who goes by husker79RT, so I gave him a call to see if he has any insight on the problem we were having.
:hail::hail::hail:Big shout out to him as Jason called up PIE to lend some insight on the issue we were having. Turns out Jason had a similar problem, and you HAVE to use a dealer crank position sensor. Not some cheap online one I was using, even though they are for the same application. So I look in my keisler instruction manual and sure enough there is a part number there for the correct cps. We order the sensor, put it in, and the issue is fixed! After three months of trouble shooting, it turned out to be the crank sensor all along. Even though the sensor were testing correctly, and put different brand new sensors in it, it MUST be an oem dealer one. It was an expensive lesson to learn, but if you have the coin...buy oem.
Now PIE can finally get to tuning this beast that it is running right. A little while later Chris calls me up and says the truck is pretty much done, just making a few more pulls. The truck made 535hp and 535 trq on 10lbs, but my bov was leaking so he was going to try and seal it up to make another pull on more boost. Plans were all set to go pick up the truck that saturday. Then Chris gives me another call and says he has some bad news....terrible new actually. On the final pull the truck made 598hp, but that came at a cost. The yolk on the rear end split apart, sent the drive shaft flying out of the truck to only get caught in my tire, and then snap the output shaft in the transmission and shatter the tail housing. Drive shaft totally bent up like pretzel (2 drive shafts gone) as well. The impact was so serve, that it cracked the shifter ball right in half! I had no idea what to think as I was getting ready to pick it up and now catastrophic failure happens.
PIE was going to ship the transmission up to hanlon motorsports in PA to have them rebuild the transmission and he would reinstall it; he didnt want my truck to leave his shop in pieces. However, instead of letting the truck sit down there for even longer and paying for shipping back and forth on the transmission, I decide I would just pick the truck up how it is. Besides, there is a lot of other stuff I could be doing on it. Chris removed the transmission for free and I picked up the truck the following weekend.
Here are some pictures of the truck on its way home from PIE and the transmission carnage.