Dakota Durango Forum banner

99 R/T Build Up

205K views 741 replies 72 participants last post by  DaleFowler 
#1 · (Edited)
Start

Current 112k

For those who dont know who I am, my name is Michael and I'm 18 located in Paramus, NJ. I've had this truck since I just turned 17 and I love it. This June 16 will be my 2 year owning my r/t. Anyway, I've been on the forum for a while and decided now is a good time to start a build thread. I worked with my dad and all my money just went into this, I recently got another job so I am putting more and more work into it. This is a BUILD UP not a MAJOR build. Ive touched on a lot of aspects of my truck so hopefully this will give some people some ideas. Lets get to it! :mullet:

Pics from the day I brought it home

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First thing I did was get the lower valence the the roof painted. The valenced was primered n the roof was peeling badly. I than also took out my from grille and but in some gutter guard. It looked a lot better than the stock grille. Held it in with some wire tires and took less than an hour to do.

New grille

Hitting 100k

I than wanted to give the engine so attention, so being short on cash, I decided to paint my valve covers. I didnt want them all red, so I taped off the top so the ridges would be black
before

after

Made a speaker box to go in front of my console. Got a new free speaker from my friend that he wasnt gonna use and made a box out of plywood than wrapped it in felt. Came out good but i wasnt feeling it and i wanted my truck to look clean so I took it out. Still have this, will sell Pm me if interested

#3 · (Edited)
Shortly after I than decided to put some LEDs in the footwells. Cheap flexible 12inch light bar that i got from harbor frieght. I wired them together n wire tied them up. I piggy backed them onto the radio fuse in the cab, so everytime the radio turns on, so do the leds. They look great and arnt to bright, still have them today.

I also decided to go with the K&N open element air filter. Its the 14x3 on with the offset base plate. Ran into a little trouble with my rad house, but with a little triming I got it to fit. Noticed a little more power n it made the engine a lot louder as well.

I than got a the summit racing roll pan. It was pretty cheap and didnt fit well but you get what you pay for. It rubs everytime you open it, but if i trim it down it might clean. Im gonna ditch this pan soon and go to a grant customs compound curve and weld n mold it in

Next to my dads 94 350 s10, soon to be pro street s10

I also decided to tint my third brake light. I did this by printing a picture of MOPAR out and i cut out the letters. I taped them on and sprayed over it, peeled it off and there ya go. Looks great and at night its easily readable.

#213 ·
Whats wrong with your rear?, it should not look like that, but opposite sides if anything. 20's look like shit, 17's much better, looks like you kept them?

#4 · (Edited)
I than changed out my muffler to a flowmaster 40. I did a lot of reading and I thought this would be a good muffler to go with. I really like the round and its not to to raspy or anything, sounds good at idle and sounds good when cruising. I also ditched the tail pipe and dumped it before the rear axle. Sounds great and there is minimal in cab drone. Good mod and didnt take long, no pics for this one haha.

Perhaps my most noticable mod I did was when I picked up my R/T replica 20s from another member on here. They were in good condition and I was extremely excited to pick them up. They totally change the whole look of the truck and it looks so much better. I doubt that I will ever get rid of these wheels, really look good on these trucks.

Before

After

Dad with the 20s haha

I was considering covering my door inserts, but I wasnt sure what material or what color to get. I was thinking red or black, but i thought red would be to loud, as im trying to keep my truck clean and not look all crazy. I when to a local fabric store and got some leather and cover my inserts, came out real nice.

Before

After

#6 ·
Thanks, yeah uploading some more now lol, but Im missing a lot of pics as well

#7 · (Edited)
After wrapping them I decided it look good and I wanted to get them along with my visors embroidered. I talked to another member on here, 1LoudRT, and he could do exactly what I wanted at good pricing. I choose R/T on the visors and MOPAR in the inserts, red on black and they came out excellent. Talk to him if you want any type of quality embroidering done for you.

Now a little bit back to the engine. Talked to dwight who was a member on here and I picked up his ported and polished throttle body. Great price and also great work. Also, I decieded to ditch my stock valve covers and picked up some polished mopar ones (gonna be powder coating this red soon). With the covers off I decided it was time to get the Harland Sharp Roller rockers. Also painted some brackets and bolts and cleaned up a little bit.

before

after

I also picked up a trans temp guage from Mopar4Life on here. I wasnt sure where to mount it and didnt want a pillar mount with just one gauge in it. So i decided to tackle making my own dash pod. To do this i took the gauge to home depot and I found a PVC pipe that that guage would slide into nicely. I found one just the right size and from there I cut the pipe down to lenght and cut some out of the back so it would fit in flush. From there I used some bondo to attach it and blend it in. This project took my extremely long as there was much sanding and reapplying bondo. I than painted it wil the OEM plastic paint. When all was said and done it looked okay, but I decided I wasnt gonna run it on my truck so I bought a new dash bezel. I still have this if anyone wants it PM me.

Took my truck to go race at Island Dragway. I ran a best of 15.03 at 92mph. I also painted my stock r/t 17s with the graphite paint from auto zone, gunmetal color.

Few More

#8 · (Edited)
I intalled corner lights a while ago, but I though i could keep this together. I bought some cyrstal clear corners from another member along with some upper street scene grill inserets. I also bought the hi/low HID package from Mopar4life on here. Came with full wiring harness, HIDS, and crystal clear housings. They look amaizng and highly recommend them. Great output over stock and still have hi and low. Make the front end look a lot better.

During

After

During

After

I also did some work to my engine bay and dont have pics while in progress. I painted some caps and got billet covers (have one for brake fluid but isnt shown). Here is a pretty recent after pic.
Before

Recent

#12 ·
Yeah Ill be there.

#10 ·
Recently I got very lucky and picked up a BRAND NEW IN BOX NEVER OPENED hotchkis kit for my r/t. The guy selling it was all the way up in Maine....road trip! My friend and I left around 7 in the morning and got there around 1. Brand new kit never even opened, truely a barn find for dakota owners. Than I drove back and got back around 6 or so. Still sitting in my basement and waiting for the spring to put her on. Thinking about powder coating springs n sways flame red. Here are some picks.

#11 ·
About three weeks ago I put in some SRT-4 seats. I bought them in pristine condition and they look great. I cut the brackets off both seats and welded the dak brackets onto the srt4 seats. Driver seat sits a little lower and the pass seat sit a little higher in the front (Could cut two brackets off to bring it down but its barely noticable so its not worth it). All in all they look amazing and feel amazing, must do mod! I also picked up some audio stuff this sunday for a steal. I got 2 2ohm kicker CVR 12s in a ported box, Kicker ZX750.1 750watt mono amp, and a install kit all BRAND NEW IN BOX for 400!! These are the new CVRS and they run 400 by themselves, amp is 300 alone, n wiring kit is 100. However The wiring kit is only good for 600, so I went out yesterday and bough a kicker 1000watt wiring kit that will sufice. Also bought some kicker and rocksford wiring. Pic of box mods and some other pics of a photo shoot after a wash with my buddy Joe n his Rubicon. Other mods that I didnt list n can see, street scene cal vu mirrors, billet attena, prob missing a few but oh well :jester:

can see most interior mods with this pic ^

#13 ·
Few more

#14 ·
Few pics of amp n wiring i picked up

BNIB

750 watt, came with bass controller as well

peak power, 938!

New 1000watt wiring kit, old 600watt wiring kit, kicker 12awg speaker wire n some 16awg rocksford wire as well.

Head unit should also be here tomorrow and Friday it all goes in.

#16 ·
Thanks man, thats the plan keep it clean n I only want the best, hence the wait for the hotchkis kit. Haha, yeah it prob will blow my face n possibly my roof right off, ill let you know how it goes.

#18 ·
Head unit came in today along with the subaru harness'. Install will hopefully go down on saturday.

#20 ·
Thanks I plan to keep it that way, want my truck to look really clean. I will be undating this daily or when I get new mods, so check back often. Many more mods on the list in the next few months:beer:

#22 ·
Thanks man, true haha :jester:, I could see that. Might have to get someone to do that, would be pretty funny.

#24 ·
Put in the system and everything went smoothly, pics soon to come.

#25 ·
Bought Bilstien shocks that are tuned for my hotckis kit, rare shocks. Still gotta get those pics up....

#28 ·
Ill put up some up now n completed ones tomorrow, yeah the alpine HU is a good power plant n its looks n functions nicely.

#29 ·
Your build is comming along very well. Love how the inserts look mounted with your new seats. Lookin good man

#31 ·
Thanks, yeah the seats pull it all together n match the inserts nicely. I love the way the interior looks now.

been 2days wheres the new pix lol jk
Hahaha, I know I gotta get them up tomorrow.

#32 ·
Order Moog ball joints (damn 200+ for all for), energy suspension bushings, and a steering colomn dash pod. Also painted my hotchkis leafs today with some VHT roll bar n chassis paint, great stuff. When the parts get here ill post up some pics of everything.

#33 ·
Hotchkis bilstein shocks came in today, waiting on the parts from summit to come than pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.