Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time Durango owner here.... Searched forum for similar threads and found nothing, so here goes.

I have a 99 Durango SLT w/360. The old girl is hurting, and I'm looking at a new engine, or a complete rebuild.

I have been thinking... The Magnum runs a Hemi, and also has a neat fuel saving feature of being able to shut down 4 cylinders when not needed, like at hiway speed.

1) Does it do this in the Hemi models?

2) Daddy want... how tough would it be to put this in my 99 Durango? (God, the new Durango's are butt ugly! Why, Chrysler?? Why??)

Questions like:

Will the existing tranny work, if not what model do I need?

Engine mounts: strong enough?

Computer from a Magnum: snap-in or complete re-wire?

Axles: Strong enough?

My Durango is used off road, has lift kit, armor, and nerf bars.

If this topic has been beaten to death and beyond, please call me a moron and link me to the previous discussion...

Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK, a couple things.

1) Mopar doesn't offer the crate Hemis with cylinder deactivation (nor do the rams), so no you wont have that.

2) PCM are completely different, expect a complete rewire. Also if you get a Donor motor, it will be throttle by wire. Add that to the wiring fun :)

3) The Hemi rams might be using the same trannys, so it can be a possible easy swap. Other wise ull need to use one of there trannys.

4) Do you have smog? Some states wont let you pass with engine that wasn't offered stock.

5) Engine mounts most likely wont be the same, expect to customize ur own.

6) Rear axles are plenty strong

7) Factory replacement 360 can be had for 3g's, this will cost FAR more. And for the same money you could build a much nicer 360-408.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pretty sure the 4 cylinders shutting off is in all the LX models, and the new Grand Cherokee, saves ALOT on fuel if u drive a lot on the freeway... if i read ur post correctly u want to do a HEMI swap into ur 1st gen Durango... if i were u, just go to a salvage yard and tear everything out of the Magnum that u could use motor, trans, computer... shouldnt be too hard

oo btw about the new Durango being ugly... my dad just got me my second one today..... i think they r ugly tooo... he always seems to lease me ugly cars... thats y i got myself a Jeep

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nope, cylinder deact is only in the cars as of now, the Rams will be getting it, but dont as of yet. And if you think its going to be an easy swap, you've got another thing coming. LOL

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Yea I gotta agree with brett, For the cost of doing a swap like that you could make your 360 walk circles around the hemi and alot lees of a headache.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had the same idea for awhile and after some research found out that you need a new tranny and baiscally everything eles. It would have to be a completly custom job but in the end it would be the sickest thing ever. My dad has a Hemi ram and i can just imagaine what it would be like in my durango. Go for it if u have the rescourses.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
MoPaR DaK said:
Absolutly nothing like the 408/360 you could build with less money then a hemi would cost to put in and have running.
2x on what he said. Get a 360, build it up, and stroke it to a 408.....that'll be easier, quicker, cheaper, and spank a Hemi on the ass.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new Grand Cherokee also has MDS, look it up on Jeep's website

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saint said:
The new Grand Cherokee also has MDS, look it up on Jeep's website

Nice, didn't know that. Looking for a swap for my Wrangler rebuild.... :banana2:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
04durangoSLT said:
just go to a salvage yard and tear everything out of the Magnum that u could use motor, trans, computer... shouldnt be too hard

oo btw about the new Durango being ugly... my dad just got me my second one today..... i think they r ugly tooo... he always seems to lease me ugly cars... thats y i got myself a Jeep
Coming from someone who's daddy leases them a new truck every year, I question your credibility on this topic.

This kind of swap will require significant modifications to the wiring and a lot of fabrication. If you can't do it yourself, you're talking $1000's for a professional to do it. I would expect at least $5000 in LABOR alone. Not counting the costs to source the parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a long time D 4.7 owner I will put in my .02. This would be extremely expensive. The parts and labor I can't even begin to add up due to the customizations that would have to take place. Get a good crate motor and go from there. :drive:

·
Registered
227 Posts
dark jedi, if you wanna know about a hemi in a wrangler i dunno if you've seen american expedition vehicles but they do hemi swaps for wranglers. they'll buy a brand new hemi from dc or you offer up a donor and they'll swap it all for you. of course this all costs a pretty penny but google them if you're interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts