Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. My first post on here. Great site. Thanks to all the experienced Dodge people for your advice.

Mine is a 49 state Durango - I am in SoCal. Bought it in Utah 5 years ago with 80 K mi. Would suddenly die then I would bang on the PCM and it would start and run for a few days. Got tired of that so replaced the PCM with a reman one from a FL company. Worked fine until some really hot weather in Autust. Got the "no bus" code. Did the diagnostics and concluded I need another PCM since I did not keep the warrenty info for the reman PCM.

Been driving my truck and letting the Durango sit because I just did not want to part with a few hundred $. Yup, too cheap, I know.

Anyway, so yesterday my son in Boise found one off a wrecked 00 Durango 4x4 5.9L for $25. I figure its worth the chance to have him send it to me. Not sure if the donor Durango has secuity.

I figure the worse is it doesn't work and I waste $25 plus shipping. Maybe 2nd worst is it works but CEL light comes on and stays on; that shouldn't be a prob until the next smog in Jan 2014. But maybe I'll get lucky and all will be well. I'll post an update when I get the PCM installed.

I do have one question. If it works but the CEL light comes on I guess that means I have to have it "flashed". Do I go through one of the companies that sell reman PCMs or do I find someone local? How much does "flashing" cost?

Ray Vick
San Diego

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, I disconneted the battery and installed the PCM. It starts and drives fine although it does "feel" a little different e.g. it seems to want to start moving in 2nd rather than 1st from a stop and it seems to downshift quicker when I decelerate.

It is throwing codes too which were not there before the previous PCM went bad. P1491 Cooling Fan Relay Control Circuit, 1495 Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit, and P0123 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit high input (Throttle Position Sensor #1 Voltage High".

Anyone with an idea on what causes high voltage to the TPS? Do I need a new throttle position sensor?

I have only driven it about 25 miles so far. Will the check engine light go out after I drive it for some distance? Can I reset the CEL with my scanner?

Ray

·
Registered
29 Posts
you're basically fucked for gettin a 99. Go on www.carcomplaints.com , it's the reason I didn't get the 99 5.9 Durango sitting right in front of my face and got out and looked for a really great 98 5.9. PCM is fucked in the 99. your going to have to relocate it to cool it down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
maybe put the original back in and move it. If someone on here had better advice please follow what they say, but wait till u read how shitty the 99 is. it was voted worst Durango made, and avoid like the plague, lol. please do go on that site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Big Red - my Dodge Truck SUV tough guy

Oh well, 5 years too late to undo that purchase.

Later in the year I will investigate the code issues. Maybe I can fix them.

I am basically a procrastinator. So other than attempting to fix the code issues, from now until next Jan the old gal is my tow truck and part time ride. Better than any old truck I have owned, much more comfortable, safe, cold AC, etc and plenty powerful even if it does get 14 mpg. When next Jan rolls around if it is still throwing codes maybe I will have to buy a reconditioned 1999 model PCM like I did before and hope that fixes any remaining codes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no advice, sorry. I also have a 1999 Durango with the 5.9. I just bought it in January and I went over the reviews and all that and sure there were complaints but try to find a vehicle that doesn't have them. Every vehicle out there has people that complain about them. Very few people go on those sites to talk about how much they love their vehicle.
I'd love to see where someone voted them the worst Durango ever built. And how was that helpful in any way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts