Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this truck and the PO said it had hesitation issue for the last month. Well, today I was on my way to work and thought I would find out what was wrong. It doesn’t go into OD. The rpms don’t drop at all with the switch on and doesn’t increase with the switch off. At 63 mph, approx, the truck jerks and bucks and if you try to go faster the rpms go to red line. You slow down below 63, and the truck drives normally. No issues with shifting at all at low speeds. If you nail it off the line it will shift like normal and engine runs normal. Basically the truck will not go over 63. Need help with this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased this truck and the PO said it had hesitation issue for the last month. Well, today I was on my way to work and thought I would find out what was wrong. It doesn’t go into OD. The rpms don’t drop at all with the switch on and doesn’t increase with the switch off. At 63 mph, approx, the truck jerks and bucks and if you try to go faster the rpms go to red line. You slow down below 63, and the truck drives normally. No issues with shifting at all at low speeds. If you nail it off the line it will shift like normal and engine runs normal. Basically the truck will not go over 63. Need help with this issue.
I would say that your TCC solenoid needs replaced or your overdrive lip seals are worn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overdrive light works with switch position. Rpm runs around 2800 at 60 mph. Downshifts fine except at 63 mph. Engine runs very smooth all the way through the rpm curve. I need to recheck fluids and verify levels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried going passed the 63 mph and it did as described but I did notice the smell of tranny fluid. I have to look under the truck to see if it is leaking and where.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well changed the fluids, adjusted the bands and cleaned everything I could get to with the pan off. It helped a little bit. OD started to work around 45. 1400 rpms at 47 mph. But when you had to accelerate it kicked out of OD and went up to 2100 + rpms. Never went back into OD. So today I was thinking about ever the truck was saying, and it dawned on me that it was a speed issue. I thought about the TPS and figured it wasn’t a throttle issue. Then I thought about the speed of the truck. It only kicked in a 45. So I thought, what tells the truck what speed it is traveling. The speedo, no, because it never is erratic or non working. Speed sensor, yes. Which one? I thought about the OSS, output speed sensor. But then what if the OD wasn’t working at all. But it was, so that left out the solenoids for the OD, they obviously were working. Went back to the OSS. The PO said the trans shop said it was a sensor, but he couldn’t recall which one. But I went back to the OSS. I pulled it out and it was nasty with goop. I cleaned it and found out that the tip was missing. Only the plastic part. The metal tip was intact. So I figured with all the gunk on it, it surely was giving false signals. And plus it was leaking out of the plug while installed. I wondered about that. So went to Autozone and purchased a $18 part and installed it. Check the tranny fluid, and then took it for a drive and as soon as it shifted into 3rd, it shortly shifted into OD. And this was at 35 mph. Ran a highway speeds and it shifted into OD and stayed into OD until the kick down shifted it down. OD switch works as it is supposed to, on is on and off is 800 rpms higher and on is 800 rpms lower. So with a little knowledge of how it works, I was able to narrow it all down. And the local tranny shop wanted $3500 to look at it and do what they want to do to take my cash! I’m smarter than that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nicely done! Your critical thinking and problem solving paid off in a big way. It's always a good feeling when a project works out this way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts