Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I really need some advice, my truck has always had a slight lurch at highway speeds. But now it has gotten worse in the past few months, it happens only when the OD is engaged, and the engine is under load (i.e. accelerating or going up a hill). Also there sounds like there is a slight knock under the same conditions. My MPG has started to suffer a little too.
So I have replaced a few parts and nothing has helped
-TPS 100 miles ago
-IAC 100 miles ago
-All plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and coil about 20k miles ago
-Changed trans fluid and filter about 30k miles ago.

I kind of want to see what you guys think before I throw more money into this truck with money being so tight right now and gas being so expensive I would love to fix it for the cheapest cost.

For reference the specs on my truck are:
1999 dodge Dakota sport club cab
4x4
5.2L/ 318 engine
46re trans
3.92 gear ratio

Any advice would be appreciated

P.S. I looked all over the forum for a post with the same issues but I couldn't find one. if there is feel free to point me in that direction

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
171 Posts
So I have replaced a few parts and nothing has helped
-TPS 100 miles ago
-IAC 100 miles ago
-All plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and coil about 20k miles ago
-Changed trans fluid and filter about 30k miles ago.
20K isn't a whole lot of miles on tune up parts these days, but who knows. I'd suggest pulling spark plugs & noting their condition. I know that you don't want to just throw parts at it, but maybe pull the cap off & inspect the inside for cracks/carbon tracking. I once read an intermittent no-start thread on this forum & one of the contributors was going off on how not to assume anything as he once had a NAPA extra good cap go bad on him in relatively few miles after he installed it. I personally have not ever had that experience, I am just relating. Although you only have 20 k miles on the tune up parts, it does sound as if it needs a tune.

Miles & time & condition of the air filter?
How about the PCV valve? Have you changed that anytime recently?
I think the fuel filter can only be accessed from the fuel tank.
Make sure all your plug wires & coil wire is still snug & tight on both ends.

How is the idle? Is it rough at all or real smooth? Too fast?
I ask because I was thinking maybe a small vacuum leak.
Maybe inspect the condition of all your vacuum lines/hoses.
I've read of looking for a vacuum leak by spraying a water mist or carb cleaner around the base of your intake & over & around anything that could potentially suck vacuum (lines & such).
If you had a vacuum leak & it sucked in the H2O mist that should slow your idle down & carb cleaner should speed it up. Some people recommend H2O because there is not a fire risk.

If something comes to me, I'll throw it out there.
Here's another Dak site, much like this one, if you want to go there & look for similar problem threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will have a look at the plugs and cap in the morning. PCV valve was replaced about 15k miles ago and the air filter has just under 1k miles on it. The idle seems just fine, I will say when I come to a stop the engine sometimes idles down too far like it's being choked out then it idles back up, but that mostly stopped after I replaced the IAC. I did have a very minor vacuum leak on the air flow diverter the the AC and Heat but after I cleaned the fitting it seemed to resolve. I can look for other ones, the water mist is a good idea I have only heard of using propane or carb cleaner. I will take pictures and try to post them of the plugs and the cap and rotor. Thanks for the link I will check that site out too.

I did get a chance to listen to my fuel injectors at idle with a screwdriver and everything sounded okay no missed beats that I could tell

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
171 Posts
I got to thinking that maybe focusing on that knock you are describing might be the way to approach your problem.
I did discover that these engines do not have knock sensors.
Here is a thread dedicated to Dodge engine knock, but it may leave you with more questions than answers. Anyway, give it a read & see what you think.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
171 Posts
Have you been able to resolve this yet?
I know that you said that you sere not getting any codes, but I was reading this thread on the other Dakota site & it made me think of your issue:

It might be possible that your crank position sensor is starting to send a degraded signal to the PCM, but for some reason it is still not enough to initiate a code. "It might be" are the operative words.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts