Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new Dakota owner here. I'm hoping someone can help me out. It's the 5.2 magnum Dakota 4x4 sport. When I got it it had a bad fuel injector on 4 and 6. I replaced and it still did it. Replaced pcm and crank sensor. New plugs wire cap rotor and it still mis fires at idle with a pop through exhaust. When I Rev it it's fine. But at idle mis fire. Take off sucks it mis fires and back fires but if I floor it it's fine. Someone please help before I go broke lol

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
And I take it from your post you are not getting a CEL?

"When I Rev it it's fine. But at idle mis fire. Take off sucks it mis fires and back fires but if I floor it it's fine."

How does it run going down the road at cruise speed?

One part I note you have not replaced is the cam position sensor (probably referred to as the Distributor Pickup Coil on yours.) It lives underneath the distributor cap, and they don't cost a whole lot, especially from some place like Rockauto. I'd almost consider it a tuneup part & replace it at regular intervals.

But what you have described kind oof sounds like what I have read about a failing throttle position sensor.
Look at this & see if these symptoms sound like yours at all:

A TPS shouldn't cost a whole lot either and they are also easy to get at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks I didn't know about the pick up coil thing. The cel comes and goes. As far as driving it runs like crap. I can't get over 40 unless I floor it but even then it popping and missing.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
Also give this a read & see what you think, as what you have described also sounds sort of like a bad cat.

But I am not saying to go out & just throw a new cat at the problem. I'd definitely do some troubleshooting first. As far as the TPS & the cam pos sensor (distributor pickup coil) For what they cost & how easy they are to replace, I wouldn't have a problem throwing those parts at it to see what happens. If they don't fix it, you have fresh ones in & spares on hand.

But first, and optimally, it would be nice if you could pull up the code that is setting off that CEL intermittently. The cat(s?), the TPS, & the cam pos sensor could all throw a code.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also give this a read & see what you think, as what you have described also sounds sort of like a bad cat.

But I am not saying to go out & just throw a new cat at the problem. I'd definitely do some troubleshooting first. As far as the TPS & the cam pos sensor (distributor pickup coil) For what they cost & how easy they are to replace, I wouldn't have a problem throwing those parts at it to see what happens. If they don't fix it, you have fresh ones in & spares on hand.

But first, and optimally, it would be nice if you could pull up the code that is setting off that CEL intermittently. The cat(s?), the TPS, & the cam pos sensor could all throw a code.
A cat is easy to test remove the O2 sensor in front of the cat and connect a pressure gage to that hole then start it up if you have more that 3psi your cat is plugged

·
Registered
2001 Dakota 4wd Quad 5.9
7 Posts
Hey new Dakota owner here. I'm hoping someone can help me out. It's the 5.2 magnum Dakota 4x4 sport. When I got it it had a bad fuel injector on 4 and 6. I replaced and it still did it. Replaced pcm and crank sensor. New plugs wire cap rotor and it still mis fires at idle with a pop through exhaust. When I Rev it it's fine. But at idle mis fire. Take off sucks it mis fires and back fires but if I floor it it's fine. Someone please help before I go broke lol
Does the 5.2 have a timing trigger like the 5.9? It's located on the back of the engine at the top. Might check the symptoms of failure for this.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
All of the magnums have the timing trigger on the transmission bellhousing right behind the right side head. All that is left in the distributor is the rotor
Well, there actually is a distributor pickup coil (which also seems to be referred to as the cam position sensor) under the distributor cap. . . . But I'll have to look up the timing trigger in my FSM. For some reason I never have came across any reference to it until now. But that is why I like this site.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
All of the magnums have the timing trigger on the transmission bellhousing right behind the right side head. All that is left in the distributor is the rotor
Are you referring to the crankshaft position indicator? (If so, OP says he's already changed it.)
Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I cannot find anything on the "timing trigger" in my '03 Dak FSM.
On edit: I don't see a "timing trigger" listed on Rock under "ignition." Which isn't to say it might not be in stock.

·
Registered
2001 Dakota 4wd Quad 5.9
7 Posts
Are you referring to the crankshaft position indicator? (If so, OP says he's already changed it.)
Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I cannot find anything on the "timing trigger" in my '03 Dak FSM.
On edit: I don't see a "timing trigger" listed on Rock under "ignition." Which isn't to say it might not be in stock.
I didn't have the right terminology at the moment.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
I didn't have the right terminology at the moment.
Oh, that's okay; that justthrew me off a bit becauseI thought I was relatively familiar with the Dakota ignition system and I'd never come across that in my troubleshooting or research. Anyway, the 5.2 does have a crankshaft position sensor but OP states that he already replaced it.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
When you write that you changed all the sensors, I take it that this includes the distributor pickup coil under the distributor cap?

You might try hooking a fuel pressure gauge to the shraeder valve on the fuel rail to see how much fuel pressure you are getting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try testing the TPS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts