Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the truck to get hay a few days ago and when I go back in it after it sat parked for a few minutes, the temp gauge would go right up to the 210 mark. It's done this for a little while, but it typically just goes back to where the proper operating temperature is in short order. This time, instead, it started to climb as a drove. I ended up pulling over in a parking lot for a while to let it cool down a bit and tried again, and I got the same result. Again, I went to pull into a parking lot before it pegged and I potentially blew a head gasket or worse, but as I was swinging into a lot to stop the temp just dropped down to the range it belongs in.

Not sure if I'm looking at an electrical issue, maybe a temp sensor issue, or a thermostat issue. Any thoughts/comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like you had an air pocket in the system. From a cold start remove the radiator cap and star the engine. Let it idle coming up to temperature. Watch for air bubbles coming out of the radiator and add coolant if necessary. This is called 'burbing the system'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts