Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forums here.

A couple days ago a lifter on the driver side of my engine "became stuck". It is ticking pretty loudly. I changed the oil and added sea foam only drove a couple miles so far and the tick is still there so im assuming thats not going to help. Me and a friend of mine plan to replace the lifters ourselves. The question I have is whether or not the heads will need to come off. I've read in another forum that a person was able to push the head gasket out of the way and get them clear to remove. Is this true? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's a big relief, will they just pull right out?
You will have to pull the rocker and pushrod. Go to the parts house and get a big extendable magnet (or if you have a pick you may be able to hook the edge and pull it that way) and it will come out. You may have to pull against the oil film so don't go jerking at it. I will warn you that you WILL need an inch pound tq wrench to retorque the rockers during assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. The seafoam after about 50 miles in my oil has made the lifter stop ticking. The oil gauge while the lifter was ticking went to 3/4 when I started the truck and stayed there(use to and now does again stay low at low idle and raises with the rpms).

Im going to change my oil this Saturday again unless you guys might not think I need to? (only 50 miles on it)

I put about 1/3-1/2 can of seam foam in the oil plus i used 5w30 instead of 10w40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts