Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the code came up for my front 02 sensor and I bought it today expecting to replace it. But when I crawled under there I found that it will be a little harder than I planned. First, the plug that I will need to unplug and then plug in the new one is nearly on top of the trans. with no slack to work with and my hand doesn't even come close to fitting up in there. So i'll probably end up cutting the wires and splicing in the new one (I had to do that once on a suburban and it worked) even then it will be hard to do with the amount of space I have to work with.

Second, there isn't much room to work with a wrench and that sucker is really in there like they usually are (heating to 300 degrees and then falling to -20 in Wyoming time after time probably has this thing almost welded into place).

So, does anyone have any tips on this? Am I missing some secret way to access the plug to where it's reachable for a human? Best wrench to remove plug with? Maybe some liquid wrench?

TIA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Getting to the o2 is pretty easy, I dont even jack the D up in the air, takes 5 min with>> NO cutting and Re-wire

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting to the o2 is pretty easy, I dont even jack the D up in the air, takes 5 min with>> NO cutting and Re-wire
Were there any tips or answers in that post? Because all I saw was BS from someone that's never replaced an O2 before. :blahblah:

Ok, despite that wealth of knowledge, I still need to know how to reach the plug and any tips I could use. Anyone ELSE?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Were there any tips or answers in that post? Because all I saw was BS from someone that's never replaced an O2 before. :blahblah:

Ok, despite that wealth of knowledge, I still need to know how to reach the plug and any tips I could use. Anyone ELSE?

Whats so hard about it ? Get it in the air a little bit and that should help you out

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Soak it with PB blaster the night before. Then use an O2 socket (available at most stores) as shown. Hopefully you have enough room to put a wrench on it. Hey, if worse comes to worse, leave it in and have a muffler guy weld in a new O2 bung. Shouldn't cost more than $30/$40. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I changed mine 4-5 years ago. As I recall the front one was up over the trans but it was not that difficult to undo. I'll be doing it this weekend as I got a P0135.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calm down Dude! Drivers side or passenger side?
Sure thing boss. Not quite sure what you mean I guess, all of my exhaust is a little to the pass. side, this is the front (pre-cat) sensor.

Whats so hard about it ? Get it in the air a little bit and that should help you out
But I thought you "don't even jack the D up" :huh::huh: thanks buddy...

Soak it with PB blaster the night before. Then use an O2 socket (available at most stores) as shown. Hopefully you have enough room to put a wrench on it. Hey, if worse comes to worse, leave it in and have a muffler guy weld in a new O2 bung. Shouldn't cost more than $30/$40. Good luck!

I'll definitely soak it, but I barely have room for a wrench, there's no way I could work a socket in there. I think my best bet would be to cut the wires so I can fit the box end of a wrench on it, I could really use the angle on the box end too, it would help clear the trans. pan a little better.

I changed mine 4-5 years ago. As I recall the front one was up over the trans but it was not that difficult to undo. I'll be doing it this weekend as I got a P0135.
I'm going to have to get you guys some pics of what i'm working with here. I'm no car dummy, i've done tons of work on mine and friends vehicles over the years. I can't imagine you guys are finding it that easy if yours looked like mine. I'll try and get some tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sure thing boss. Not quite sure what you mean I guess, all of my exhaust is a little to the pass. side, this is the front (pre-cat) sensor.

But I thought you "don't even jack the D up" :huh::huh: thanks buddy...

I'll definitely soak it, but I barely have room for a wrench, there's no way I could work a socket in there. I think my best bet would be to cut the wires so I can fit the box end of a wrench on it, I could really use the angle on the box end too, it would help clear the trans. pan a little better.

I'm going to have to get you guys some pics of what i'm working with here. I'm no car dummy, i've done tons of work on mine and friends vehicles over the years. I can't imagine you guys are finding it that easy if yours looked like mine. I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Your replacing a o2 sensor, it's not rocket science, cool down..

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes, its a PITA

I dint have much luck with the O2 socket I think I managed to get a decent grip on it with medium sized channel lock to break it loose. Once you get it broke loose you can turn it the rest of the way out by hand.

X2 for it not being rocket science

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, its a PITA

I dint have much luck with the O2 socket I think I managed to get a decent grip on it with medium sized channel lock to break it loose. Once you get it broke loose you can turn it the rest of the way out by hand.
You didn't have any problem reaching the plug to unplug the old one and plug in the new one?

·
Eatin' Ford Shittin Chevy
325 Posts
Is it not? I thought it was, my bad. :sorry:
its probably best to take their advice if you want any help in the future, being a smart ass wont get you very far in your dilema.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its probably best to take their advice if you want any help in the future, being a smart ass wont get you very far in your dilema.
If you check my posts, i'm taking advice and i'm very appreciative of it. Sarcasm, however, is not helpful and is being returned with sarcasm.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I just did mine this morning. There is enough slack in the front wires. The front connector does have a barb. I don't remember if it was attached the first time I did them. If yours is attached to the frame or something else, pop it off. It still will be up on the side of the trans but you can get to it.

Reactions: lvin4jc

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did mine this morning. There is enough slack in the front wires. The front connector does have a barb. I don't remember if it was attached the first time I did them. If yours is attached to the frame or something else, pop it off. It still will be up on the side of the trans but you can get to it.
Cool, so i'll just cut/break the barb, because there is almost 0 slack right now. That should do it really, because that'll let me unplug/plug the clip and if I just cut the wires on the old one i'm sure I can get the box end of a wrench on the old O2. That's what I was looking for, you have been Repped! :banana2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have the same problem, where you can only move a wrench about an inch before it starts hitting the trans pan and gets pushed at a funny angle.

plus the plug at least on my truck, is up so high i can barily get 2 fingers on it. very frustrating.

i myself have tried for 2 days in a row and cannot get enough grip at a decent angle to get it out.

rewelding an o2 bung would be nice, but relocating to sensor to any other spot that makes sense would place it too far away from the plug to reach anymore.

·
sixpack
104 Posts
I did mine from the engine bay using two or three extensions to the socket. I had to remove the inner fender splash shield anyway to get in there and play.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts