Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all you guru's I have a head scratcher.

My 99 Dakota 2x4 3.9l V6 Automatic won't idle after ignition. The fuel pump kicks on the engine turns over and then it kills itself. I can keep it at 750 - 1k if I feather the pedal but as soon as I lift off it dies. I've managed to feather the pedal and after a minute or two it kept up some unassisted idling. when it does idle (both assisted and unassisted) it runs smooth, no roughness or hiccups.

I'm thoroughly confused at this one. any immediate help would be a god send. :bow:

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Battery is probably going out. Enough juice to start it but not enough to keep the PCM powered up. When you manually keep it reved it is running off the alt.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
The alternator keeps things powered up when the truck is running, not the battery. So I don’t think that is the problem, especially since he can keep the truck running if he raises the RPM.

My guess is that the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is either dirty/sticking or going bad. Take it off, clean it with some carb cleaner and reinstall. If the symptoms go away, then your done. If they don’t, then the IAC valve is probably bad.

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts