Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone just found this forum and can't get enough of it!

My '98 3.9 auto dakota seems to be running rough at idle.

The truck has 140,00 miles. I have put about 15,000 in nine months and have maintened it very very well.

The thing that is really bothering me is the rough idle at a stop light with foot on brakes.

Also a rattle at certain rpms could that just be the heat sheild?

It runs great but at a stop you can feel the truck shake, no jumps or movement from the rpms just shaking at stops.

I checked for vaccum leaks none found.
I am not burning a drop of oil.

The other two people I have talked to said it was a timing chain and one said it was the intake gasket.

Is this nothing to worry about on a fairly high mileage truck, just normal wear and tear?

Or could it be something getting readly to fail?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
rough idle

I replaced the Idle Air Control in my 99 Durango when it was running as you discribed and it seemed to do the trick. Mine had a hundred and six thousand miles. Very easy to change out. Good luck.
:drive:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Check your plugs. My #8 cylinder fowls out my the plug about every 6 months. My truck lets me know when it's out b/c I get a nice rough idle from her, and you can hear the motor missing on that cylinder. Hope that helps you out some.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Mine was the IAC too. You can buy another one or try and clean it with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush

·
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I think I am going to start with some autolite plugs and see what that does.

If not that then the IAC is my next step.

Thanks Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts